New baby

Paula Sharp

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 3, 2014
Hello friends...a dog has come and killed 7 of our hens... Including the only sitter we had and she fortunately left behind a baby that I'm sure she died protecting this little chick. The rest of the flock is picking on the chick and it has escaped twice trying to get away. I brought it inside to protect it and now it is literally my sidekick. My question is.... Is it possible to have this little buddy as an indoor pet? I have fallen head over heels for Birdy

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I'm so sorry for your loss!!!
sad.png
hugs.gif
Yes, many people keep chickens as indoor pets. Chickens cannot be housebroken but can wear a chicken diaper and live inside.
http://www.chickendiapers.com/

Hope this works and welcome!

Last edited:
Thanks so much... I am investing in a diaper for this little guy.... He already has my heart

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
glad to have you in our flock. Sorry for your loss
hugs.gif
I have a friend that has a Barred Rock Roo as a indoor pet so i do believe they can be indoor pets, but i think she might be happier with her flock when she gets older.
jumpy.gif

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! I'm so sorry to hear about your loss... Good luck with the little guy and enjoy! Once the poopies are taken care of they make wonderful indoor pets. I used to raise stray chicks in the house too. Loved it!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So sorry for your losses.
hugs.gif
If this is a very young baby, she will need supplemental heat until she is fully feathered. If you are planning on keeping this baby indoors, you might stop by this thread on house chickens. Lots of members here keep chickens as house pets. You will find lots of helpful member and hints in this thread...https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/299187/people-with-house-chickens

Enjoy this little guy!

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Sorry about the loss of your hens. It's always sad when we lose some of our flock. Please feel free to ask any more questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with house chickens.

welcome-byc.gif
Nowadays many people have house chickens especially bantam breeds that can take confinement. Sometimes it's done to skirt HOA and town restrictions.

Back
Top Bottom