New Bantam Momma Hen & Chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by StickyChicky, Sep 22, 2014.

1. StickyChicky

StickyChicky Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2014
    Hi!
    My Dutch Bantam hen went broody when we were on vacation. On a nest of several eggs, she only hatched one. It's now one week and one day old. They seemed to have been doing very well all week - getting out and about the yard as our flock free-ranges. Today I've been working at home and heard a frantic chick peeping. I went outside and the momma hen was pecking at the chick - I watched for just a few seconds and she pecked it multiple times, pecked at the ground, then literally picked the chick up by the fluff on its head and tossed it a bit. I grabbed the chick, which made momma hen very upset. So I grabbed her too - and settled them both into a brooder with a heat lamp, lots of food and water and have been keeping a close eye on them. They seem very content in there and momma hen has stopped pecking at the chick. Did I overreact? Was she just setting the chick straight about something? Seemed a little violent to me... should I be concerned that she has gone a bit loco and needs total separation? I'm wondering if she was stressed out about something. Today it's a bit chillier than it has been (upper 70s instead of 80s), she seemed VERY hungry when I put her in the brooder, plus my dearest 6yo son does have a tendency to chase the chickens all over the yard... he was in prime form this weekend. Though I must say that the local frog had it the worst this weekend, when he and his friend decided to teach it how to zipline... <sigh>...

2. nayeli

nayeli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2014
    How have they been and what did you decide to do? I would have seperated them immediately personally.

3. MichalBeth7

MichalBeth7 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2014
    Oklahoma
    She may have been stressed, but it worries me that she just picked the chick up and threw it! [​IMG] I would separate them. Sometimes hens go broody and then don't make good mothers in the end. Good luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by