New Barred Rock owner

Does anyone have any problems with your Barred Rocks during the winter.

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 14 100.0%

• Total voters

kelconsue

In the Brooder
Oct 28, 2018
I just bought my Barred Rocks at Tractor Supply April this year. They were the last 8 chicks. I love them!! They are funny, out going birds. They follow me around the yard and love a cuddle now and then. They definately love to forage and have helped eliminate the ground bees under the apple trees. My husband is grateful for that. This is the first year he can mow under the trees without getting stung.

Welcome to Backyard Chickens! We are glad you joined the flock!:welcome BYC is a helpful site providing all the information you need to know about poultry! There is always space for more members on the BYC roost!:highfive: Any chicken will lay an egg in the same nesting box if they see other eggs in there. Hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do!

Welcome to Backyard Chickens! We are glad you joined the flock!:welcome BYC is a helpful site providing all the information you need to know about poultry! There is always space for more members on the BYC roost!:highfive: Any chicken will lay an egg in the same nesting box if they see other eggs in there. Hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do!
Wow...I haven't had chickens since I was a kid and I just started with my 8 girls so this is all new for me. I worry about the winter though and I bought new aluminum waters so I can use a warmer to keep the water from freezing. Is there any thing else I should do for the winter?

Wow...I haven't had chickens since I was a kid and I just started with my 8 girls so this is all new for me. I worry about the winter though and I bought new aluminum waters so I can use a warmer to keep the water from freezing. Is there any thing else I should do for the winter?
As long as you have a insulated coop with enough ventilation then everything should be okay. Chickens in a small enclosed area like a coop will produce enough body heat to keep the coop warm. My barred rocks are 2 1/2 years and they did fine all of the following winters. Water freezing can be a problem though. Maybe keeping it in their coop will prevent it from freezing but I wouldn't count on it depending how cold it gets where you live. Check this out. https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai...wj2rL7O6qneAhUm44MKHZ6OA68Q0Qx6BAgKEAI&adurl=

Back
Top Bottom