New batch of fermented feed

Cluckcluck19

In the Brooder
Jul 1, 2019
after my last batch that got overrun with nasty little creepy maggots and fruit flies, I’m planning to start a new batch today and use a different container.

After some research I read that fermenting feed in glass was the best option and that keeping it relatively free of air is best. I was under the impression that keeping it in a sealed container wasnt good and that the gasses would eventually burst, but maybe a glass container is ok for this? I plan to grab a large mason jar like gallon container so the lid is pretty sealed.
Thanks for the advice!!

don't seal it, glass jars will explode... there are containers made for sourdough that have a spring that holds them shut, this seals pretty well but also allows venting. containers for brewing beer also have an air lock that will allow pressure to release.

don't seal it, glass jars will explode... there are containers made for sourdough that have a spring that holds them shut, this seals pretty well but also allows venting. containers for brewing beer also have an air lock that will allow pressure to release.
Thank you! You probably just saved me a huge, glassy mess

BD2AE13C-E19D-4646-873D-24F819A2D302.jpeg
I ferment in mason jars with cheesecloth in place of lids.

Thank you! You probably just saved me a huge, glassy mess
I actually saw the results of an exploded jar in one of the threads on here... not pretty... It happened when no one was home, but feed and glass everywhere...

I have done sourdough in a glass cookie jar with a unsealed lid, so just a glass to glass seal around the jar, any pressure and it would lift the lid a bit and let the gas escape with no bugs able to get in.

I use a crock and back slop my fermented daily. I feed out for the day then add more water and feed. It's fermented by the next morning. If you want to stop the fermenting process, put it in the refrigerator. I do this when I go away and bring it out when I get home. It keeps the process going like I never stopped.

Loosely covered
20190615_071117.jpg

After I feed out for the day. Leaving a little to mix in the fresh batch, so it ferments.
20190615_072712.jpg

Ready the next morning. You can see a slight white coating on top(yeast)
20190619_230047.jpg

I make mine like thick oatmeal, that's how they like it.
20180314_082039.jpg

Back
Top Bottom