1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Bator In the works

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Flawedatdesign, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    Building a Cabinet Style Going to be capable of holding 180 eggs hand turning is the only thing I don't like but think I have a method figured out for that too.

2. Savannah Poultry

Savannah Poultry The Source

Mar 29, 2010
    Lakeview, OR
    Cool! What do you have in mind for turning methods?

3. Flawedatdesign

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    Thinking of blocks on the shelves so I can prop the holders up at a 45 I'll still have to go in and turn the whole holder but that will beat doing one egg at a time.

4. Savannah Poultry

Savannah Poultry The Source

Mar 29, 2010
    Lakeview, OR
    ah! That'll work! easier than turning every egg individually [​IMG]

5. Flawedatdesign

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    Better half isn't so sure about the fact it's going to hold 180 eggs. Her fear a 100% hatch rate lol.

6. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    Quote:I totally understand, But she wont complain seeing 180 multicolored fuzzballs running around.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:Not to worry. Most likely all of the eggs won't be fertile and some may start to develop and be quitters. My cabinet holds 270 chicken eggs. I have never had all hatch. I usually don't candle any more so after my hatch I candle the remaining eggs and sometimes do eggtopsies to see if I can figure why some didn't hatch. Most of the remaining eggs turn out to be either infertile or early quitters. Currently my boys aren't doing their job. I think they are on strike because of the heat.

8. Flawedatdesign

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    Well My Hens are on strike I'm getting one egg every other day out of 12 hens. Guess I need to let them know I do have replacements lol. If I'm not getting eggs and having to feed them I might as well feed the young ones that should be laying hopefully next month.

9. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    [​IMG] Hey, if your a weird chicken owner like me you could just whisper to them softly at nighttime, when they are all on the roost, and tell them to start laying eggs, and also talk to them using their name. I did it. [​IMG] Too strange. Lol. they started laying though. I thought that I was a chicken-whisperer for a while. BUT IT WORKED FOR ME!!!!! Lol I did this to each of my chickens. Hahahaha

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  10. Flawedatdesign

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    I'll go roll the chopping block in front of the coops lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by