NEW Beautiful (insert color here) Muscovy (pics pg.1 & 2)

Quote:
trust me I will!!!! I'm going to get 4 chocolate girls, and 1 chocolate boy. Seperate them all into a trio. So then, I can hatch chocolate babies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And the MJ will have his own girls as well. Wonder how they will turn out.... blue and brown..... hmmm... LOL

I also am a STUDENT of genetics, like at least some others of you.

I am not an experienced breeder, but I have spent a fair amount of time, not just reading on muscovy color genetics, but also meditating on what I read, drawing further conclusions from the conclusions that the authors bring forth, etc. I also like to create genetic 'problems' for myself.

All of this when I take the time to do it, mind you.....................

It seems that we have to admit that Dave Holderread is probably THEE master breeder on any duck we can name--Muscovies included. I am mystified that it seems that most users here seem to set at least his genetic nomenclature aside, when it is so authoritative. Is there anyone that has matched him/surpassed him yet, and is published in English. Ashton? Does he go into genetics, though?

But I have wanted to get to Holderread's SOURCES, as well--the great geneticists who did pioneering work re. waterfowl and Muscovies esp., in the mid 20th c.

It seems that these men must be our first and primary guide as to the nomenclature we use re. this or that color, and the activity of this or that gene, as well as its nature.

There is unfortunately not a mass of literature in English on this topic. HOLDERREAD IS THE STANDARD, at least for the time being, it seems.

There is alot of varying use of color nomenclature, also. There seems to be no really FIXED, 'canonized', nomenclature in place yet, such that everyone who has such and such a color or pattern is sort of 'expected' to call it the same thing. This does not exist, not in this country, at least from what I have read on this forum to date. Nor does it exist between the US and other countries.

This creates between at least myself and others a differing use of terms for the same thing, and this causes confusion. This occurs particularly when dealing with the presence of the color white in a muscovy duck.

I plan on dealing with this in another thread--eventually, as it will be long and in-depth (if ya wanna call my ruminations "in depth"
big_smile.png
)

Sorry to be OT, but I wanted to chime in.............

mea maxima culpa
wink.png

I would agree with MDC, who knows more about 'what color looks like what' than I do.

'Self' does in fact refer to the individual feather, and not to the entire bird, i.e., the feather bears an even shade of color throughout, no change or highlighting/lacing, etc.

I would agree that you do have a Self-Blue ("Lavender") drake. It MAY be a Duclair (which is what some call Pied, even though the proper name is 'Duclair').

There is more involved than that, most likely. The three main mutations producing white in a muscovy can at times interact with each other

anyway.................

You have lucked out, color-wise. Self-Blue is NOT a common color!
Hooray for you, Lisa

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
WOW!!!! I am super lucky lately, thats for sure. All my freebies turn out to be rare. LOL!!! WHOOOOPPPPEEEEEEEE. Now i need to find a self-blue/lavendar hen!

Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom