NatalieBrooke88

In the Brooder
Jul 13, 2022
Annabelle Video

Hi everyone. I am a new duck owner and desperately need some guidance!

On July 2nd, we were gifted a male and female duck. They are somewhere between 4 and 6 months old. The previous owner did not have a body of water for them- just a baby pool- and that is all I know about their previous conditions.

The male, Albert, is healthy as can be. White as snow, waddling all over, and noisy as ever.

Annabelle is not. From the get go she was not normal. However, the previous owner said she had been fine, so at first I was thinking she was disoriented from the move. I quickly realized that not to be the case.

We tried to put her in the water but she wasn’t buoyant. She was slightly sinking. Knowing absolutely nothing at that point, I quickly read some forums and thought maybe she had Wet Feather. We followed the bathing instructions and kept her out of the water but saw no improvement.

She is also very dirty looking because she’s not grooming (her under feathers looks healthy and clean), bobbing her head up and down constantly, and can only take a step or two, if that, without falling over. Because of this, I am taking food and putting it right in front of her several times a day. I am also constantly cleaning out the water and adding electrolytes to it. I watch her to ensure she is eating and drinking.

After I realized Wet Feather was not the culprit, I did more research and was so convinced she suffering from a possibly severe Niacide deficiency. For one week, I have been giving her somewhere between 1 and 2ml of Durvet in her food daily. I err on the side of more since so much can be left unconsumed when it scatters.

Since I was not seeing improvement, I took her to the vet yesterday. It was an awful experience. Not only was the vet cold and rude, he seemed unknowledgeable about ducks (despite me asking before making the appointment). He told me he hadn’t heard of Wet Feather and completely dismissed that (which I know that’s not what is causing her issues- but it is a real thing??)

He went on to say he doesn’t think antibiotics will help. And he said he doesn’t believe it’s Botulism, as the ducks didn’t previously have access to a large body of water (Of course, after doing my own research, I now know they can contract Botulism in many different ways- not just dirty pond/lake water.)

He ultimately told me it is a neurological issue and nothing can be done. He said there’s a small chance she can “come out of it.”

I was heartbroken and more confused than before I took her to him. So I contacted a local lady who has a farm for sick and abandoned ducks. She asked for a video. Link to video at the very top of this post- She specifically asked to see her feet, which is why I do that in the video.

She looked at it this morning and told me Annabelle has Botulism and nothing can be done. I have been doing my own research since, and I don’t know if she is right. Based on my research, it’s extremely uncommon for a duck with Botulism to survive more than 24 hours. Also, if I understand correctly, Botulism paralyzes their muscles and prevents them from eating. Annabelle can eat and drink just fine.

Today, I read some more forums on here and purchased some Vitamin E capsules. I started adding the liquid to her food.

I know it may seem ridiculous to some since we haven’t even had her two weeks, but I love Annabelle. She is the sweetest thing and has brought us so much joy. I want to do whatever I can to help her heal- and keep her comfortable in the mean time.

I would do anything to see her happily swimming in the pond with Albert. He is her protector and will not leave her side, so he is also not swimming in the water. They live in the chicken coop and j bring them out onto the grass for some time in the sun everyday.

Please, if anyone can offer me any advice, stories from experience, thoughts, guidance, etc., I would be so very appreciative! The more knowledge the better.

A couple of other notes:

- She had, what the vet told me was, a slightly elevated temp: 106.4

-A secondary concern is a hawk getting her while I’m not outside. I just feel bad keeping her “cooped up” all day. I would appreciate others thoughts.

Like I said, I am clueless to this and just want to do what’s best. I am truly trying my best and I am here to learn, so please don’t judge me if I have taken the wrong course of action so far.

Thank you in advance!

UPDATE:

I went outside to check on Annabelle and couldn’t find her anywhere. Finally I found her in the pond! She made her way all the way down there somehow! Hopefully this is a good sign?

Unfortunately she is still slightly sinking and is shivering. I think this video of her swimming could be very helpful in determining what’s wrong. All help in determining best next steps is appreciated. Thank you!

Video- Annabelle Swimming

Attachments

• 12B7AD21-38EA-4FE5-955B-09B97D135FCD.jpeg
    12B7AD21-38EA-4FE5-955B-09B97D135FCD.jpeg
    944.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 64C52C07-8BF6-4B92-BB6F-479765C1D66E.jpeg
    64C52C07-8BF6-4B92-BB6F-479765C1D66E.jpeg
    454.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 709C7ED7-AF14-4858-8B66-0193E8CD887F.jpeg
    709C7ED7-AF14-4858-8B66-0193E8CD887F.jpeg
    814.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Which one is doing the quacking? That's your female. From the video, it looks like Albert is quacking. Only the females quack.
Have you checked her feed to make sure there is no mold or rat poop. Anything like that can make them very sick.
Does she float at all in water? Or just sink down more than the other? She needs to blow out her nares. That's possible to do in a kiddie pool.

Which one is doing the quacking? That's your female. From the video, it looks like Albert is quacking. Only the females quack.
Have you checked her feed to make sure there is no mold or rat poop. Anything like that can make them very sick.
Does she float at all in water? Or just sink down more than the other? She needs to blow out her nares. That's possible to do in a kiddie pool.
Ohhh so they are both females? We were told male and female? I am assuming the vet would have told me if Annabelle is a he?

Would you mind further explaining what “blow out her nare” means and how I assist her with that?
Thank you for replying!

My Pekin Duck was wobbly somewhat like that and unable to walk for a bit. She had suffered from bumblefoot. I'm not sure if the infection had become systemic or what. With your ducks temperature being elevated, I think I would try a strong broad spectrum antibiotic, but I'm not personally familiar with botulism. Let's see what the other folks say.

Ohhh so they are both females? We were told male and female? I am assuming the vet would have told me if Annabelle is a he?

Would you mind further explaining what “blow out her nare” means and how I assist her with that?
Thank you for replying!
If Albert was the loud one in the video, that is a duck hen. Drakes are more raspy and much quieter. Is Annabelle quacking too? Poor thing looks so pitiful. Blowing out their nares involves them blowing air out of their nose holes to clear any debris out. Sometimes you might see this with them pointing their bill downwards and blowing. Water helps them do this more efficiently. Does Annabelle have anything coming from her nares (nose holes on bill). They're both sweet looking ducks. Albert (or Alberta) is ready to play 💜

UPDATE:

I went outside to check on Annabelle and couldn’t find her anywhere. Finally I found her in the pond! She made her way all the way down there somehow! Hopefully this is a good sign?

Unfortunately she is still slightly sinking and is shivering. I think this video of her swimming could be very helpful in determining what’s wrong.

https://youtu.be/TIcRK-BXwCo

Back
Top Bottom