New behavior-not sure what it is but it’s cute

marlaw

Songster
Apr 24, 2019
I could ramble on about my babies and how cute and funny they are...but tonight noticed new behavior. Kind of wondering what it means (other than making my heart melt).

Have a bonded set of 4 serama hens, 3 of them are sisters (Frida, Buttercup, and Maple). The 4th, Betty, is all black—she’s the smallest and unrelated to them. She had a hard time being accepted in the beginning...they all 3 tried to keep her down on pecking order. She always fought back though. She is very independent, goes her own way, and gets what she wants. I loved her immediately for how strong willed she was. Over time everybody settled in and Betty I think actually worked her way up In rank—all of them are close and very happy. Frida has always been the leader of the group and she’s a very good one. Betty has always been respectful of her and a friendship developed. Betty will throw you under the bus just to sleep next to Frida.

well Frida has gone broody and won’t let any of the hens near her—doesn’t even want any to look at her...except Betty. Betty will actually go in her nest box with her and remove hemp shavings off her back and obsessively“tidys up” around the entrance to nest box. It’s the sweetest thing ever—but why is she doing that?

in my mind I want to believe it’s because they are friends and love each other. Husband thinks Betty wants in the same best box but I’m not getting that vibe..I just wondered if it was a respect thing since Frida is at the top of pecking order. What’s that about? Betty is taking her “job” very seriously!

Hens often will lay eggs where others are laying or setting. I suppose it's to have more of their eggs hatched or tended to. I would guess being nice to the setting hen keeps her from driving the other hen out.

Sometimes two hens will try to set a nest together. Sometimes it works out, and sometimes it doesn't.

In the end only the chickens know, and we are left guessing. Chickens are more complex than they are often given credit for.

We got three adult chickens to add to our 6 duck family which includes to muscovy hens and the next day 5 ducklings were hatched by one scovy. The other scovy started sitting on her clutch 4 days later and we placed two chickens eggs in the nest. They hatched three weeks later and now when the broody scovy steps off her nest for a bit, one of the chickens sits on it until the scovy kicks her off. We also took the chicks inside immediately for a brooder month until we put them back outside. We’ve done visits with the chickens and chicks outside and it’s going so so. I think your duck is trying to be a helpful friend like our chicken is, maybe one of her eggs is in there. Ducks will carry eggs into their nest under their wings.

I sure hope it's not catching! We've already had to pump the brakes on 2 hens already this spring. Unfortunately, we aren't going to let her hatch out any right now. Just can't take the chance on getting a rooster when we've finally got the flock mellowed out for the most part. I took her egg this morning and felt like a monster. :(

Which ones....and how did you 'pump the brakes'?

I just meant we had to stop 2 other hens from being broody, Speckles and Nuggie. For speckles, we blocked off her favorite nest box. For Nuggie, we gently sprayed her with lukewarm water. Just a couple of squirts on her chest. Both solutions worked immediately and they were unphased so I’m glad.

Back
Top Bottom