New behaviors, egg contents changing.

fishchicks

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 17, 2014
We have 5 hens, no roosters. All are approx 1&1/2 years old. they have been healthy, laying great eggs on a regular basis. Recently we noticed one of our hens (a Brahma), has what looks like a forming embryo in some of her eggs, with tiny pieces of brown matter...anyone know if this is a problem? Another behavior that has recently started is our Black Star is acting like a rooster sometimes, if you get my drift! Just curious, any info is appreciated.

Sounds like you are seeing meat or blood spots in the eggs, both are covered in the Poultry Site article with causes etc http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/1/egg-quality-handbook/29/meat-spots Meat spots are pretty common, it is also hereditary with some breeds/strains and older birds producing more, it could mean a problem with the hens reproductive tract if it is just the one hen, if you have several of your hens doing it and they are younger or not related you might want to check in to diet or disease issues.
It is not unusual for a hen to take over the roosters role in a flock without a roo, some will even sort of crow.

It sounds like the eggs contain blood or meat spots to me as well. These spots are usually due to small glitches in the reproductive tract or when a blood vessel ruptures while the egg is being formed. They aren't much to worry about usually (just scoop them out before cooking the eggs).

Thanks for the info! I keep a pretty close eye on them so was pretty sure she was not ill. It is just the one hen and it is sporadic.
Loving the fresh eggs! This is a great sight for info!

Back
Top Bottom