New Bird - Dominant Behaviour - Problem ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Brahmadarma, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Brahmadarma

Brahmadarma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    I have just introduced a yr. old Japanese bantam to my established flock of five - 12 wk. old mixed standards.
    The Banty is not friendly and pecks anyone who comes close, not savagely, but certainly dominantly. If anyone wants the same roosting perch as her she will sidle along it to peck them.
    They have spent one night together and seemed fine this morning but the new one doesn't want to leave the roost, she is not injured and seems healthy, and she did come down to eat, but otherwise remains guarding her spot on the highest roost.
    Is this just temporary behavior, or should I be concerned ?
    I will keep my eye on them and make sure she eats and drinks. I don't want my happy girls to be stressed by this little interloper though.
    Any advice ?

2. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    They will probably get used to each other in a little while. Chickens do weird thingsa sometimes if they are not used to each other, or there new home. Sometimes it lasts quite a while. I only get worried if the birds attack the new one. That sometimes can be a problem.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Sounds like your new chook is copping an attitude as a defense mechanism so she doesn't get picked on.
    I have a general principle that I use whenever there are squabbles in my coop. If they aren't drawing blood, I let them sort it out. So far, they have always figured out their pecking order issues without a single chicken getting hurt.

4. Brahmadarma

Brahmadarma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Thank you Houndit and Gritsar, that's comforting. I knew I was probably overly concerned, I just didn't want long-term disharmony.
    I don't have to work tomorrow so I'll be able to watch them and see if there's an improvement.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by