New bird mom from Austin

Rinilope

In the Brooder
Mar 7, 2017
Hi, I am Carissa. I am a new bird mom to chickens and ducks. I am also the mom of three and a pediatric ICU nurse.

We initially got 3 chicks (a buff orpington, a white Plymouth rock, and what is supposed to be a barred Plymouth rock, but appears to be some kind of bantam) and 3 ducks (crested white, Welsh harlequin, and khaki Campbell) 2 of the ducks died with some ailment that made their necks floppy and gasping for air and the third developed a feet problem that I fixed with duck shoes and now she seems to have a hip problem :( we replaced the first death (she was my daughter's and died on her birthday) with a crested khaki Campbell. All of my birds moved to their outside coop this week. The chickens are Sunshine, Harry Hood, and Pekka and the ducks are Starshoot (injured) and Cupcake Monster. Starshoot is getting more mobile and I think she will pull through. After we get back from spring break I will probably get two more ducklings. I am grateful to this community that has already helped fix Starshoot's feet. Looking forward to learning from and sharing this journey with you!

Hi Carissa and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre - https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread#post_3239224

All the best
CT

welcome-byc.gif
The more I read about ducks the more I think I must get some - or maybe geese better watchdogs I think. Amazing you can fix feet with duck shoes the mind boggles! I am sorry though about your daughter's duck that must be horrid for her and on her birthday.

Welcome to BYC!

Wow, that's rough! But I'm glad that Starshoot seems to be doing better now. :) In the future, you might want to avoid crested ducks, because they can have bad neurological problems. It's great to have you with us!

Last edited:
Welcome to Backyard chickens. For the ducks, you can post on the "Duck thread," where knowledgeable folks can give great advice on them. So sorry for the losses.

G’Day from down under Carissa
frow.gif
Welcome!

I am sorry to hear of your losses and hope it is all plain sailing from here.

I also hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom