New birds (Araucana).... how did we do??

FeatherFluff

Songster
13 Years
Jan 14, 2008
NC-VA border
Hope this works....I have never posted pics before so I am lost!

Any idea on the color and/or gender on this one?
5770_100_0333.jpg

She has one tuft.....so cute!
5770_100_0330.jpg

I have never seen a color pattern like this.... what is it?
5770_100_0328.jpg

Last edited:
Oh --- I don't know nothin' about nothin', but the last one looks to be crossed with a speckled Sussex... there is another breed that is speckled like that. The first one is beautiful.

Where did you get them? Are yoiu adding them to a current flock? Are you planning to quarantine? I know you are all excited about your birds -- tell us more about them.

Jenny

Yes, they are quarantined. We got them at the poultry show in Salisbury, NC today. I cannot remember how old the seller said the little one is but he said that the white one is around 2 (yes, I know, a little old but oh well) and the other 2 are around 6 months.

They all are crossed colors (as far as I can tell) except for the white one.

They sure are pretty, though. Congrats!

Quote:
Not exactly true. There are only a certain number of recognised varieties for araucanas, and these are quite obviously true araucanas, not EEs. It is too late for me to go look at my standard to count and name recognised varieties, but it is far less than 100s. Maybe ten or so.

Quote:
Not exactly true. There are only a certain number of recognised varieties for araucanas, and these are quite obviously true araucanas, not EEs. It is too late for me to go look at my standard to count and name recognised varieties, but it is far less than 100s. Maybe ten or so.

I was counting all of them, not just the recognised varieties. I have seen so many colors at swaps and sales, even if they are mixed its something like Seramas, most of those are mixed colors but they have names for them

Last edited:
The white one is a hen, the others look like cockerels to me. Many many people keep mixed color flocks of araucanas. When you breed the white hen with one of those boys you might get whites or something totally different since white can hide other colors.

Well, according to the seller, the ones in the last photo are supposed to be 6 month old standard pullets..... The little one (in the first photo) was free so I figure it is probably a roo but the seller said it is a pullet..... guess I will have to wait and see.
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom