New Birds from Breeder have Lice & Coryza

Me & Jack

Songster
10 Years
May 31, 2009
NC
Just received two birds in the mail that I purchased from a breeder. They both have lice, especially the pullet, which is also a little underweight (not surprising), and the cockerel is showing signs of Coryza (stinky nasal discharge). I have gone ahead and added Sulmet to the drinking water for the respiratory issue, and will shampoo both with a parasite product later today (the breeder was supposed to have dusted them, so not sure if that person forgot or if the dusting didn't work).

Has anyone had better success with any products for Coryza than using Sulmet?

I've always used a Sevin-type product for lice, or spot-on ivermectin, but open to new suggestions.

It's been a while since we've had either problem on our farm so looking for fresh or tried-and-true ideas from others.

Thanks!

No, not an NC breeder. I actually know the person I got them from -- we used to show together, so I am a little surprised. I know things can happen to the best of us, so I'm going to just give that person the benefit of the doubt. Not sure if I should mention it to them or not -- for the sake of the rest of their flock.

Yes, I'd tell the breeder! In truth, I'd cull the bird if you're sure it's Coryza. That's what quarantine is for, to keep carrier diseases out of your flock. If you treat it and keep the bird, you are adding the disease into your flock.

Already in quarantine. Was going to keep the two of them on their own for 2-3 weeks, but now might be looking at 2-3 months. Thought of culling, but I hate to do it if I can successfully treat it.

This is pretty good article on the UPA website:

http://www.peafowl.org/ARTICLES/15/

It does recommend Sulmet or :

"Various sulfonamides -- sulfadimethoxine (SDM), sulfaqumnline (SQ), sulfamet hazine (sulmet) are all effective; however, sulfadimethoxine is the safest and the one prescribed as treatment of choice. "

Also does mention the length of time for it to run its course.

Sorry, you got sick birds shipped to you-

As far as i know, you can't successfully treat coryza.
They will most likely be carriers for life and can still infect your other birds, even if they recover from the symptoms.

foxy is correct. You cannot cure Coryza. You can fix the current symptoms, but the bird remains a carrier and will infect other birds it comes in contact with. I just cringe to think of someone who calls himself a breeder sending out sick birds to customers.

What a nightmare! You want to support a breeder then this happens.

Back
Top Bottom