New Birds

6 Hens and 1 Cock.

I take this to mean they are adults, not babies, especially since you have experience with other types of birds. You'd be surprised at how many on here would call day old chicks hens and cocks. Age is important.

How long to keep them locked up? To me this depends some on what your garden looks like. Is it wide open or fenced? Roofed since they can fly? Can they get out? Different gardens can look way different. They can be creatures of habit. If they get used to sleeping in the coop they should return there every night at dark. If you lock them up until they get in the habit of sleeping in the coop they will probably return there every night. I say probably because with living animals you don't get guarantees. If they are used to sleeping in trees where they come from and your garden has trees it may be harder to train them. Usually a week is enough.

If your garden is totally enclosed and they are fairly easy to catch another option would be to just turn them loose in the coop/garden and see what they do. If they do not go into the coop to sleep on their own they are usually pretty easy to catch after dark (assuming you don't have lights in your garden so they can see you). Toss them in the coop every night after dark. They should soon get the message and start going in on their own. There are two reasons you may need to know this. If your coop is too small to keep them locked in there for a week you may have to do something like this. Or they may not go into the coop at dark on their own no matter how long you leave hem locked in there. I regularly move 5 week old to my grow out coop and pen. No matter how long I leave them locked in that coop before letting them into the run they don't go back in there at night. I have to use this method to train them to sleep in the coop. I think it's because my grow out coop is elevated. Although these 5 week old chicks can fly better than adults they are not yet used to roosting, so they like to sleep in a group in a low spot. I think locking adults in the coop for a week is likely to work, but just in case you know the procedure.

One purpose of locking them in the coop is, if they are adult and laying, to try to train them to lay in the coop. If they are free to select a nesting site they may easily choose one in your garden. Again, they are creatures of habit. Once a hen gets in the habit of laying in one spot she tends to return there to lay. A week should be enough I suggest putting a fake egg (I use golf balls) in the nests to show them that the nests are a good place to lay.

As Cmon said, here in the US Rhode Island Reds are production birds and have been bred to hardly ever go broody. A broody hen is not laying eggs and disrupts the flock, plus requires special handling. They use incubators and brooders to hatch and raise chicks. It doesn't take that many generations of making going broody a fatal condition to mostly breed going broody out of a flock. You can still have exceptions but with Rhode Island Reds not many. I would expect South Africa to be similar to the US in this. You can talk to the people where you are getting them about this, it is possible they have bred them to go broody fairly often. It can be done. Even hens from breeds known to go broody don't always go broody. Each is an individual. If you plan on hatching eggs from them an incubator may be in your future.

I have used broody's in the past but I hatch out a few hundred chicks every year so I use an incubator and grow the chicks out. Around half will be cockerels. I sell most of the cockerels and only keep a few, the best as future breeders. Good luck and have fun...

I don't ever lock mine in the coop. But I have an enclosed run attached to the coop. The coop is the best place for sleeping, and they naturally go there at dark. I always cringe a little bit when people talk of locking the birds in a coop for a week. To me, birds need fresh air and sunshine.

So if you have an attached run/coop. Keep them in that for a few days. In my experience, once they have slept in the coop, they return there. But they are notional, I have had them lay in the nests for months, and then randomly choose another spot.

Is your ordered coop a pre-fabricated coop? As they often over estimate the number of birds that can live in it. They often estimate it at 6, where as, experienced chicken people would only put 3 birds in that size.

Mrs K

I do leave the birds in their new coop for a few days, then I open the pop door to their pen. I do not shut the pop doors at night. The birds all go into their coops.

Hi all, I have ordered a coup and are awaiting delivery. I plan to buy 6 Hens and 1 Cock. My question is, how long should I keep the Chickens in the coup before letting them roam free in my garden?
I see you’ve gotten several good answers to your question.
Can you give us a bit more information? Did you order a custom coup or a prefab? Prefabs can say they holDo you have a run that you can attach it to or put it inside? How big is the coop without the nests or run? How many nests? Basics are 1 nest per 4or 5 birds although often more than that will often choose the same nest. 4sqft/chicken inside coop minus nests. 10sqft/chicken in the run.
By the way, hens are female chickens that are 1 year old or older. Younger than that they are pullets even if they are laying eggs which is to be expected. Roosters are male chickens that are 1 year old or older. Younger than that they are cockerels or cocks.
Are you planning on more than the six females? Having the male will take care of that LOL. If yes then are you ready to raise and butcher for meals half of the offspring since at least half will be male? Keep in mind the coop and run will need to be big enough for these additions.
If you don’t want to be hatching chicks then you don’t need a rooster. If you have never raised chickens before having a rooster can prove to be too challenging. They are protective of their ladies and will protect them from you, from children, and anyone else.
Chickens are so cool to care for. You’re going to have lots of fun!

I had my first flock around 50 years ago. I had to get rid of them because I was relocating for a job and couldn't take the birds. The new place did allow birds so there were many years when I didn't have any. I eventually relocated again and was able to transfer with my job and able to have birds again. I started out with 6 but that didn't last long. Originally I didn't have a male because I had no intention of hatching any chicks. My flock did grow in size and eventually males were added. I started out with a styrofoam incubator and got hooked on hatching so I bought another styrofoam incubator then another and then another and so on. I eventually bought a cabinet incubator and wow now I was going to be able to hatch a lot of chicks then I bought another cabinet. I did sell one of the cabinets. I discovered one cabinet was enough. Now I want to downsize some. As the years have gone by it's getting harder and harder. I still seem to hatch out 200/300 chicks every year and of course around half will me males. I do grow them all out and sell the ones I don't plan on using as breeders. It helps with the feed costs. I have been lucky with my males and over the years only had a couple that have shown any aggression. My males now are love bugs and I love them. Currently I have around 200 more or less birds. I am taking a few females to see at our local swap tomorrow but have a buyer who has bought birds from me in the past. When you get your coop, please post some pictures. Here are my coops. each coop is different. They have been built over many years. I have a couple of more coops that aren't in these pictures that I use as grow-out coops or if a bird needs some extra TLC. Again good luck and have fun.. Planning is fun...
2014-05-06 17.40.24.jpg
IMG_20190302_104435.jpg

Please excuse my typos. I'm having problems with my eyes. Spellcheck catches many of my mistakes but I see two of everything.

Hi, I got a custom coup constructed of wood, as I am a first timer I was not sure what to get, I will post pictures soon. Ended up buying
I had my first flock around 50 years ago. I had to get rid of them because I was relocating for a job and couldn't take the birds. The new place did allow birds so there were many years when I didn't have any. I eventually relocated again and was able to transfer with my job and able to have birds again. I started out with 6 but that didn't last long. Originally I didn't have a male because I had no intention of hatching any chicks. My flock did grow in size and eventually males were added. I started out with a styrofoam incubator and got hooked on hatching so I bought another styrofoam incubator then another and then another and so on. I eventually bought a cabinet incubator and wow now I was going to be able to hatch a lot of chicks then I bought another cabinet. I did sell one of the cabinets. I discovered one cabinet was enough. Now I want to downsize some. As the years have gone by it's getting harder and harder. I still seem to hatch out 200/300 chicks every year and of course around half will me males. I do grow them all out and sell the ones I don't plan on using as breeders. It helps with the feed costs. I have been lucky with my males and over the years only had a couple that have shown any aggression. My males now are love bugs and I love them. Currently I have around 200 more or less birds. I am taking a few females to see at our local swap tomorrow but have a buyer who has bought birds from me in the past. When you get your coop, please post some pictures. Here are my coops. each coop is different. They have been built over many years. I have a couple of more coops that aren't in these pictures that I use as grow-out coops or if a bird needs some extra TLC. Again good luck and have fun.. Planning is fun...
View attachment 2009976View attachment 2009977
You have a lot of space, my garden will only allow for max 10 birds and I have Aviaries of Finches. I have 40 Quail eggs in an incubator as I really like the idea of hatching birds and I ordered a brooder that can house 100 chicks, I will have to see what happens.

Hi all, I have ordered a coup and are awaiting delivery. I plan to buy 6 Hens and 1 Cock. My question is, how long should I keep the Chickens in the coup before letting them roam free in my garden?
Anywhere from 3 to 4 months will be fine. I guess that depends on your location. i mean.. less possible predators will be great.

Back
Top Bottom