New Black Shamo

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pdxblossom, Sep 18, 2010.

1. pdxblossom

pdxblossom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Though I went out for a Barred Rock or a Buff Brahma today I returned home with a Black Shamo. She's healthy and sweet . . .

I can't find much information on them. Anyone out there own one or a dozen? I'd love to know more about their personalities, laying behavior, etc.

She has been introduced to the flock for just a few hours but is already in charge of the Australorp and Brahmas.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. TomNY

TomNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2010
    Quote:A dozen or two. Out of a few hundred males in the last 15 years or so I've only had two mean ones. They can't get along with each other but friendly to people. Even hens will fight to the death if one doesn't back down. Fair layers if they aren't broody. Good luck I'm sure you'll like her, Tom

3. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    I have a cockerel and two pullets that are Shamo/American Game mix. They are really neat birds, so much intelligence and personality compared to the average laying hens! Mine are not laying yet. They are fairly aggressive birds, I have one pullet who likes to torment my laying hens through the fence, she fights them like a rooster. My cockerel is pretty laid back, he does not fight with my Old English cockerel at all, or the other dozen or so roosters running around, but they were also raised together.

4. pdxblossom

Jul 11, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Thanks a lot . . . I introduced her to the flock immediately after bringing her home. There was a brief skirmish between her and my Australorp roo - my hens ran in the other direction. They pretty much avoided her for the rest of the day. When I put them to bed at night on the roost, she pecked at my one roo for a minute or two then calmed down. Today, they are all running around in a little flock and getting along famously. My Brahmas are so sweet and easy going and I'm happy.

The Shamo is a pretty bird. I love her head and it's bird of prey like qualities. I can already tell she has so much personality and I'm looking forward to getting to know her better.

[​IMG]

5. coq au vin

coq au vin Chillin' With My Peeps

no quarantine?

6. pdxblossom

Jul 11, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I'm really new to chickens . . .

I took the advice of some trusted long-time chicken owners. Unfortunately, nobody every mentioned a "quarantine" and it's not mentioned in my one chicken book. That said, the previous owner of my bird has been highly recommended by several local organizations and I've seen the conditions in which the chickens are hatched and raised. It's pretty much a chicken paradise and all the birds are very healthy.

Next time I'll know better, but I'm choosing to trust that this will all work out well. I have a good feeling about the hen, the previous owner and the organization that sponsored the "Pullet Fair".

Thanks for your concern and making me aware of something I can do better next time around. I really care about taking good care of my chickens.

7. coq au vin

coq au vin Chillin' With My Peeps

8. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Shamo information and care can be found on the Ultimatefowl Wikipedia, you can find that doing a google search. After that, go to the "Orientals" page and click Shamo. Article, and photos etc written by Julia Keeling, whom has bred, kept, and studied the Shamo for a long time.

-Daniel

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  9. sleepy

sleepy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Palmdale,Ca
    Quote:Hello pdxblossom if you got her from a feedstore or hatchery it should be ok to put her with the flock most hatcheries bred the gameness out of them by mixing them with good layers so they breed in quantity not pure breed, but if you got her from a breeder of shamo i would seprate her right away she may injure your flock even your roosters. This breed is very spacial to me very nice birds when you keep them seperated even pure Shamo chicks at 1 or 2 months start sparring each other very game breed. Pure Shamo is not for begginers.
    The Shamo is a naked heel game bird from Japan.

The breed was originally brought into Japan from Thailand in the seventeenth century - the name referring to Siam, the old name for Thailand. In Japan it was developed into a distinctive fighting bird of courage and ferocity.
    Its posture is very upright, with prominent shoulders, powerful bone structure, muscular build and sparse hard feather, which all together make it an impressive and striking bird.

theres three types of Shamo: Ko shamo the smallest, Chu Shamo medium, O-Shamo being the biggest

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by