New born button runt with splayed leg.

smallbluejellybean

Songster
10 Years
Dec 13, 2009
Kings Park NSW Australia
I have a 12 hour old button chick with splayed leg. It was like it from hatching. Have terry towelling down from the start and it wasn't getting any better.
So I got a little piece of cotton string and tied its legs so its feet when standing don't meet - more of a normal standing position like its sisters and brothers. Oh Boy it was hard to do as it is so small - it is the runt (came from the smallest egg in its group).
Its about half the size of the others and is now back in the incubator (has a small compartment in the front - a mini brooder area).
Its still so clumbsie even with its legs tied.
I was wondering was tieing its legs closer together was the right thing to do?
And will it get better?
How long should I keep it on for?
Also, is there anyway to bulk the little guy up a bit, so it can be put back with its sisters and brothers?
Any help would be appreciated.
Here is also some photo's.
My little runt with spayed legs.
45659_img_0460.jpg

In intensive care.
45659_img_0461.jpg

Its nest buddies, awaiting his return.
45659_img_0462.jpg

45659_img_0466.jpg

45659_img_0464.jpg

These are my special 7. 4 suspected silvers (blonde chicks) and 3 wilds.
I lost two. One was deformed (had all its guts inside out- weird and ewwy) when it hatched and the other was one of three breached in egg, the other two I helped out and they are running around like normal.
Got no sleep last night, but with a wonderful result. 7 out of 15 alive, not bad for home made incubator.
One hatched a week ago but didn't make it. The rest of the guys took overtime and went to 22 days - I guess it is because I have no thermastat. Will have to get one.

I think you did the right thing for his legs. Make sure he has a high protein feed and he'll grow quickly. Congratulations on your hatch!

Put the runt back into the group.
It didn't sleep alnight and chirped for its friends.
I cut the string off and its about half as bad, although its still clumbsy.
It was welcomed back and is feeding and sleeping with its friends.
I will wait a day or so to see if their is any improvement before treating it again.
I checked the next lot of eggs in the incubator this morning. Several are chirping and several are making the tell tale tick, tick, tick sounds.
So soon my little buttons will have more to join them. Those eggs were set about 2 days after the first lot and will only be about 2 days younger.
Since the group is nice to the runt it should be ok to put them together.
Today, I need to finish putting up the mouse proof wire I bought to keep the ones in the aviary from escaping when they are born. They are due Tuesday or Wednesday next week. I also need to put stones in the water dish.
A couple of days ago my canaries went nuts and desided to eat most of the plants in the aviary. Will have to wait to replace them, as I do not want to disturb the button hens on eggs.
"OH WHAT A BUSY BUTTON TIME!" but it has been lots of fun and the kids have gotten so much out of seeing the chicks hatch and learning about the processes.

Back
Top Bottom