New born lamb. I am feeling panicky about how to care for him.

Honey_Silvas

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 10, 2011
Kyle, TX
I just got a newborn lamb. He was born Sunday. His mother had someting wrong with her udders and couldn't nurse him. They put him in my arms and said if somebody doesn't feed him, he will die. What else could I do but take him home. I gave him goats milk the first night while I tried reading up on how to care for him. Monday I went to the TSC and got colostrum and sheep milk replacement for him. He seems to be doing fine. He is sleeping better with the colostrum. Right now he is living in the house and wearing a pamper. He follows us everywhere we go.

I am trying to read up on his care as fast as I can, but I am afraid I will miss something important before I find that information. If anyone has information to give me about caring for a newborn lamb, I would really appreciate it. I do want to castrate him as we plan to keep him. I think he might be a Katahdin or something like that. I know where I got him from they raise the sheep for meat, and that is the closest picture I found.

I just got a newborn lamb.  He was born Sunday.  His mother had someting wrong with her udders and couldn't nurse him.  They put him in my arms and said if somebody doesn't feed him, he will die.  What else could I do but take him home.  I gave him goats milk the first night while I tried reading up on how to care for him.  Monday I went to the TSC and got colostrum and sheep milk replacement for him.  He seems to be doing fine.  He is sleeping better with the colostrum.  Right now he is living in the house and wearing a pamper.  He follows us everywhere we go.

I am trying to read up on his care as fast as I can, but I am afraid I will miss something important before I find that information.  If anyone has information to give me about caring for a newborn lamb, I would really appreciate it.  I do want to castrate him as we plan to keep him.  I think he might be a Katahdin or something like that.  I know where I got him from they raise the sheep for meat, and that is the closest picture I found.

Please check out backyardherds (the sister site). There are TONS of experts over there that can help you. Please go there now. Do not waste any time posting your questions?

I was finally able to get on BackYardHerds and have gotten some good advice. Thanks for all who replied.
thumbsup.gif

i agree goats milk is alot better. feed him a few times a day and make sure he is warm that is about it...good luck

Very good!!! I'm happy that they helped over there.
thumbsup.gif

How is your baby doing?

He is doing good. He fights taking the bottle sometimes, but he seems to be getting enough. He was outside today playing and jumping around and having a great time. I am trying to get them to give us his brother too because they aren't having much luck getting him to take the bottle.

Back
Top Bottom