New Brahma Group: Blue Partridge x Partridge, Plus Dark

Maybe she can't feel what's under feet. I let a big Cochin hatch, only one chick hatched, she squished it on day two, probably overnight. I don't know if a chicken is smart enough to lift their feet when a chick is squeaking. Sorry. One is an accident, two dead makes you start to think. I hope both were just freak accidents.

My thought is that there are too many things to keep track of as they age, maybe exhausted and dozing off and not hearing little muffled cheeps. Or there could have been something wrong with the chicks, often chicks with defects do OK until they hatch, then they have to act to take care of themselves, and just can not do it.

It's just not something I'm used to having to deal with; all the hatches seem to go so smoothly. The last one, of course, didn't, because Bash was ailing and most weren't even fertile to begin with. Such a bummer. I guess I was putting too much weight on having little cuties to cheer me up running around for awhile and then this happened. I still have four, providing she doesn't hurt them.

Maybe she can't feel what's under feet. I let a big Cochin hatch, only one chick hatched, she squished it on day two, probably overnight. I don't know if a chicken is smart enough to lift their feet when a chick is squeaking. Sorry. One is an accident, two dead makes you start to think. I hope both were just freak accidents.

Yes, that's what I meant. I thought the first one was the one that lost a lot of blood pipping through a vein that had not fully retracted, maybe was just weak. But this other one gave me pause.

Here are the four Brahmas and Mama Brandy.
DSC05417.JPG
DSC05419.JPG
DSC05420.JPG
DSC05422.JPG
DSC05423.JPG
DSC05424.JPG
DSC05425.JPG
DSC05426.JPG

Back
Top Bottom