New Brahma Group: Blue Partridge x Partridge, Plus Dark

Pics
Well, I changed my mind. I took the eggs away from her. I don't really want to have to deal with three broodies at once. it's hard enough with Lizzie and now, Thea. So, Bonnie just needs to get a grip. She's been in the nest all day, except when I pull her out, but when I let them free range this afternoon and hauled her out once again, she went far and wide, sticking close to Brandy and Cora, digging around and exploring without so much as a cluck. As soon as she went back to her pen, she was back in the nest. Crazy gal.

You do like I do, change my mind after really thinking things through. I wouldn't want 2 moms at once, much less 3. I will be happy when broody season is over. I've had too many this year too.

I got some blue gold orpington chicks that were about 2wks. I noticed right away that 2 had heavily feathered feet and more intense colored feathers and 2 others lighter feathering on the feet w/a more uniform coloring. I'm quessing the 2 that have the most colieful feathering are cockerals. So..my question is about sexing/feathering chicks. I just hatched 8 more. Is it possible with this breed to tell the hens from the rules early on based on feather colors. This is a pic of one, about 6 wks im thinkin is a roo?

Attachments

• 20170729_175219_008_01.jpg
    20170729_175219_008_01.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 13
Today is Day 20 and two of the four Brahmas have hatched under my Barred Rock first time broody. Thea does not seem hostile to them. If all four hatch, I'll give one to Bonnie to raise so she can naturally break out of her long broody spell. One looks very light, hopefully the splash partridge my customer really wants, but too soon to be sure. Yippee, more Brahmas babies!

The first chick is light, but not quite as light as I thought at first. Second one is medium-dark colored. The other two are well-pipped so we'll see what we get from those soon.
First chick, not as light as what I'd expect a splash to be, though very light. Maybe just a blue partridge.
DSC04900.JPG
DSC04901.JPG
DSC04902.JPG
DSC04904.JPG

Second chick
DSC04907.JPG

A third hatched. When the last one is out, will try to assess color, but it's getting near the end of the day so it may have to wait until tomorrow. Easier to get a handle on the colors if they are fully fluffed.

UPDATE: all four hatched. Thea is being a terrific first-time mom. There is one lighter than the rest but I don't think it's a splash-light, not yellow enough, if you know what I mean. Could be fooled, but time will tell.
DSC04925.JPG
DSC04926.JPG
DSC04927.JPG
DSC04928.JPG
DSC04929.JPG
DSC04930.JPG
DSC04931.JPG

The smallest is always a male, seems to me. This last one is smaller than the others and the comb seems wider.

Back
Top Bottom