New breed ‘No crow roosters’

All characteristics in special ornamental chickens originate from normal wild chickens. Take the polish with their funny and fluffy wigs. There must have been some chickens that had a more fluffy head to start with.
Actually, Polish started with a genetic mutation that created a vaulted skull.
The problem with “crowless” roosters is you need genetic material to start with, as you can’t pull it out of nothing.
I know that rooster can crow loud bc they have a shell inside the ear that closes when they start to Crow. If you have a couple of rooster that make less noise it is possible that this has to do with a poor closing of the ear shell or with the way the vocal cord (or whatever) is build. This can be a caused by a defect in a gene.
This is very interesting. I did not know this about the ear. I think I remember something about them not being able to hear their own crow, but I didn’t know how it worked. Thanks for the fact, I learned something today.

How ethical and practical it is is a different discussion.
I also wonder this. How would it affect fertility? I suppose you’d have to breed it to find out.

Look up Rooster Collars. They're Velcro straps that you can put on your roo's neck, and that'll muffle the crow. My grandma has some hens that she's been putting the collars on, and it keeps them from squawking too loud. Maybe that'll help.
Oh, and the first few times they crow, it'll be muffled anyway. My neighbor has a roo (accidental) who is just starting to crow. He only crows if I walk up to him (guarding his flock), so he might not be very loud until he's completley fertile. IDK.

Crowing is a secondary sexual characteristic tied to all that testosterone floating around in there, and separating the crow from other sexual traits would be difficult, without a sport showing up somewhere and being identified. So possible but unlikely, and what will the hens think? I'd bet that this silent individual wouldn't be a favored rooster in a flock either.
Roosters crow, and it sounds great to us here!
Mary

I forgot to mention this: If you really want a rooster, you might want to have a coop maybe 30-50 yards away from your house. He'll crow, but it'll be a bit muffled.

I forgot to mention this: If you really want a rooster, you might want to have a coop maybe 30-50 yards away from your house. He'll crow, but it'll be a bit muffled.

Many people don't have a yard that big. I don't , its only 250 m2 wich is quit big in the town where I live. The max distance from the house to the outermost corner of the garden is about 10 meters (11 yards)

Many people who have chickens can’t have a rooster because it isn’t allowed to have roosters (because they are too loud). For many reasons it would be better in this urban circumstances to have rooster with a soft crow.

But urban people can’t try to breed them cause they can’t have roosters. And rural breeders don’t see the purpose of breeding a soft crow rooster. (stalemate?)

Urbans with little space, with one rooster , have no competition between roosters. The girls love him no matter what.

Sorry, I've got a rather large yard, so I was being insensitive. Yeah, @BDutch, a roo with a soft crow would be good for urban living. I also might have meant 20 ft if that's possible. I probably overestimated.

Many people don't have a yard that big. I don't , its only 250 m2 wich is quit big in the town where I live. The max distance from the house to the outermost corner of the garden is about 10 meters (11 yards)

Many people who have chickens can’t have a rooster because it isn’t allowed to have roosters (because they are too loud). For many reasons it would be better in this urban circumstances to have rooster with a soft crow.

But urban people can’t try to breed them cause they can’t have roosters. And rural breeders don’t see the purpose of breeding a soft crow rooster. (stalemate?)

Urbans with little space, with one rooster , have no competition between roosters. The girls love him no matter what.

I know this thread is a bit old but I was also interested in this topic as I live in an urban environment. I have a friend who has an old-english batam who has a crow that's only a whisper. The roo functions normally apart from having a very bad temper and perhaps a lower fertiity rate. That said for example...the original pure Araucana breed is only 25% fertile and the ones that are out there selling as pure Araucanas are not really 100% pure bred as the original variety is very expensive..but that's another story altogether.

I think it would be a really great idea if someone can selectively choose for soft-crow roos - it'll make a great sell for urban keepers who wanna breed their own flock as right now breeding is only restricted to larger land size away from populated areas which not everyone can afford to do so. I think there hasn't been a breed out for that as nobody really thought about it. But now with an increasing number of people keeping chickens in an urban environment, I think there will definitely be a market for it.

Last edited:
I know this thread is a bit old but I was also interested in this topic as I live in an urban environment. I have a friend who has an old-english batam who has a crow that's only a whisper. The roo functions normally apart from having a very bad temper and perhaps a lower fertiity rate. That said for example...the original pure Araucana breed is only 25% fertile and the ones that are out there selling as pure Araucanas are not really 100% pure bred as the original variety is very expensive..but that's another story altogether.

I think it would be a really great idea if someone can selectively choose for soft-crow roos - it'll make a great sell for urban keepers who wanna breed their own flock as right now breeding is only restricted to larger land size away from populated areas which not everyone can afford to do so. I think there hasn't been a breed out for that as nobody really thought about it. But now with an increasing number of people keeping chickens in an urban environment, I think there will definitely be a market for it.
The problem with breeding for roosters who crow quietly or not at all is that roosters like that are extremely rare. Also, many of them have a quiet/nonexistent crow due to environmental factors rather than genetic ones, so the trait doesn’t pass on to their offspring.

It may be possible. They key would to to raise a LOT of roosters and come up with a way to grade their call. Select the ones with the shortest or softest crowing and their sisters to produce the next generation.

The person who takes this on this project is going to have the noisiest project ever. Imagine having a few hundred roosters that you coax to crow so you can evaluate their call.

Funny, because the most primitative breeds have the shortest calls. The cockadoodledoo must not have appeared until people started selecting for various other domestication traits. The red jungle fowl says cockadoowaah.

Back
Top Bottom