New breed ‘No crow roosters’

The problem with breeding for roosters who crow quietly or not at all is that roosters like that are extremely rare. Also, many of them have a quiet/nonexistent crow due to environmental factors rather than genetic ones, so the trait doesn’t pass on to their offspring.

Will have to disagree on this. History tells us that heirloom breeds, where it be plants or animals were derived from unusual, and therefore rare, phenotypic outlier/s. It/they then got selectively bred for generations to make it hereditary and hence more stable. So what you say is rare can ultimately be selectively bred to make it a more common trait.

Also, a rather recent discovery in genetic sciences called Epigenetics indicates that environmental influences/changes can be heretible in mammals - this is contrary to the common norm that permanent changes in the DNA code have to occur for it to be passed down to the next generation so it is scientifically possible to inherit physical traits that are due to environmental influence/s.

Last edited:
Will have to disagree on this. History tells us that heirloom breeds, where it be plants or animals were derived from unusual, and therefore rare, phenotypic outlier/s. It/they then got selectively bred for generations to make it hereditary and hence more stable. So what you say is rare can ultimately be selectively bred to make it a more common trait.

Also, a rather recent discovery in genetic sciences called Epigenetics indicates that environmental influences/changes can be heretible in mammals - this is contrary to the common norm that permanent changes in the DNA code have to occur for it to be passed down to the next generation so it is scientifically possible to inherit physical traits that are due to environmental influence/s.
I think @MysteryChicken was trying to say that if crowing can be heretible than there is a chance non/soft-crowing can be too....
I never said it was impossible. Just more difficult to achieve than many think.

I’m not talking about how the crow sounds. I’m saying that non-crowing roosters are usually not crowing due to environmental factors, not genetic ones.
I was using his type of crow, as an example. Just to explain abit of what I've experienced, with crowing being able to be inherited.

I think it's based on both genetics, hormones, & territory.

I'll get a video tomorrow.

I doubt this project would be worthwhile unless you happen upon a "sport" mutation. All sorts of birth defects come along. A chicken with a birth defect that prevents it from crowing is certainly conceivable. But, the sport has to come along at the right time and place so it is recognized by someone with the wherewithall and desire to start selecting for it. I guess all we can do is keep an eye out for that crowless rooster. I'd offer a couple-hundred bucks if you find one.

I might have an idea on how to breed one that almost dosen't crow, It would likely be very short and squeaky, Almost sounding like a Chickadee, Possibly breed an Aseel to a Cochin bantam, Then breed that to a Serama or OEGB, See how it is and if you don't like that then keep breeding with Roosters that don't crow that much or have a very squeaky and light crow

But, there could be linkages. When you breed out the crow, you might loose other characteriestics as well..... like the urge to mate or manufacture sperm or something.
This sperm and mating theory can’t be a true proposition. A chicken is a bird you know. Many birds make nice sounds without having a problem with sperm or mating. The loud sound has to do with shutting the inner ear. The rooster doesn’t hear himself as loud as he should. So if you have a rooster with a genetic defect in the inner ear shutter he probably has no urge too cry out loud. If someone breeds with such a rooster he/she might get very quickly to a new soft crowing breed if other features (looks) are of no importance.

The larger the rooster, the stronger the sound, so bantams rooster do crow but its not that loud
Bantams roosters are loud too. I had 3 different breeds. Dutch, Naine de Tournaisis and bantam RIR. The Dutch and Tournaises cry in a higher and very annoying tone too. The bantam RIR was the best and had a great character too. But if neighbours complain he wakes them at sunrise , I cant keep him. And all over the world many people who love to keep a rooster have similar kind of problems with roosters.

That’s why the no crow rooster collar was so popular for a while. Until it became clear it caused all kind of problems like suffocation, mites under the collar, getting trapped (hanging) on a branch.

And yes, once again I have only hens. I live in an urban environment where people have rather small gardens (300 - 800m2). I love to live here because the city center is near and I am surrounded with nice people who help each other if there is a reason for it.
All in all, the soft crowing rooster is not very important. He would be something like the cherry on the cake 🍰.

Back
Top Bottom