New Breeds, Genetics and Showing section coming soon

I would have left out the "Genetics" word from the "Genetics & Breeding to the Standard of Perfection" section, The way I see it people on that section are more inerested on the SOP(Type/form) and Rarely about genetics, one only need to see the "Ameraucana SOP" Thread.. so whats going to happen is the following, people will see the word "Genetics" on that section and ask, what do I get when I cross this EE(or Hatchery type pet chicken) with this other chicken and that person will not get any help(I have already answer a few that were ripe for the taking).. So I would move that word("Genetics") to the general breed section

Or put it in a section all its own...but I agree that those who are asking questions to learn are less likely to go to hte "advanced" section

We appreciate the feedback and are reviewing the positive and negative feedback we've received publicly and privately.

Please continue to provide feedback, ideas, and suggestions in a detailed and helpful way!

In the spirit of the above comment ...

NOTE: I hope I'm not coming off as critical because that is not my intent at all. I do not know what should be done and will certainly be happy to live with whatever it is BYC ends up doing or not doing. There is no doubt that BYC is great.

The new section titled, "Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard of Perfection" which includes in its sticky: "This section is not intended for discussion of pet birds or birds bred/sold by hatcheries...."

I understand why some folks would want to exclude certain birds from their discussions.

However, since some of my birds are from hatcheries, I cannot ask or answer questions about Genetics in this section.

I fully support BYC in their work to run this site how ever they want to, but I have genetics questions and I can't ask them in the "Genetics" section because my chickens aren't the "right" type or specific breed.

Case in point ... where do I ask about slow feathering K123 and whether it shows up in heterozygous conditions? I feel like I can't ask at all since I understand the proper section to be the "Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard of Perfection" section, but some of my chickens are from hatcheries or crossed with hatchery chickens.

The slow feathering K123 question can't be asked in the "General Breeds Section" since it's not about any "Breed" in particular. Besides each breed thread gets commented in so often that questions like that disappear quickly off the first page.

Another point: (Just sorta something to think about or mull over at some point. Maybe?)

What are the categories of chicken owners or chickens?

Aren't there more than two or three?

It seems like pet birds or hatchery birds vs. SOP & Exhibition chickens (mentioned in the sticky) is maybe a little bit limiting.

I sorta think other categories exist, possibly, like maybe Utility chickens and Landraces and Autosexed. Additionally a newer type that is coming into its own is Designer Crosses (Favaucana, Olive Eggers, Show Girls, etc.) that have no interest in being recognized by the APA. "Projects" might be another category if it's different enough from Designer Crosses, which it is in some cases. These groups can't really be fully categorized by "pet" and "hatchery" categories and they aren't in the Exhibition/SOP section for sure.

I would have left out the "Genetics" word from the "Genetics & Breeding to the Standard of Perfection" section, The way I see it people on that section are more inerested on the SOP(Type/form) and Rarely about genetics (portions of original not included)

So I would move that word("Genetics") to the general breed section

nicalandia's comment above could be a solution. And it does seem like I've run into a number of breeders who are not in the least interested in genetics and discussing the lingo or putting genetics to work for them because what they've been doing is already working for them.

Possibly there is just a certain "type of person" that enjoys discussing and puzzling out the genetic issues surrounding chickens. Genetics aren't necessarily breed specific. (As in comb genetics, earlobes, wattles, wild type ... those apply to many breeds.) A section for those folks, no matter what kind of chickens they happen to have, might be helpful. But again, I don't know what should be done.
hu.gif

In the spirit of the above comment ...

NOTE: I hope I'm not coming off as critical because that is not my intent at all. I do not know what should be done and will certainly be happy to live with whatever it is BYC ends up doing or not doing. There is no doubt that BYC is great.

The new section titled, "Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard of Perfection" which includes in its sticky: "This section is not intended for discussion of pet birds or birds bred/sold by hatcheries...."

I understand why some folks would want to exclude certain birds from their discussions.

However, since some of my birds are from hatcheries, I cannot ask or answer questions about Genetics in this section.

I fully support BYC in their work to run this site how ever they want to, but I have genetics questions and I can't ask them in the "Genetics" section because my chickens aren't the "right" type or specific breed.

Case in point ... where do I ask about slow feathering K123 and whether it shows up in heterozygous conditions? I feel like I can't ask at all since I understand the proper section to be the "Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard of Perfection" section, but some of my chickens are from hatcheries or crossed with hatchery chickens.

The slow feathering K123 question can't be asked in the "General Breeds Section" since it's not about any "Breed" in particular. Besides each breed thread gets commented in so often that questions like that disappear quickly off the first page.

Another point: (Just sorta something to think about or mull over at some point. Maybe?)

What are the categories of chicken owners or chickens?

Aren't there more than two or three?

It seems like pet birds or hatchery birds vs. SOP & Exhibition chickens (mentioned in the sticky) is maybe a little bit limiting.

I sorta think other categories exist, possibly, like maybe Utility chickens and Landraces and Autosexed. Additionally a newer type that is coming into its own is Designer Crosses (Favaucana, Olive Eggers, Show Girls, etc.) that have no interest in being recognized by the APA. "Projects" might be another category if it's different enough from Designer Crosses, which it is in some cases. These groups can't really be fully categorized by "pet" and "hatchery" categories and they aren't in the Exhibition/SOP section for sure.

nicalandia's comment above could be a solution. And it does seem like I've run into a number of breeders who are not in the least interested in genetics and discussing the lingo or putting genetics to work for them because what they've been doing is already working for them.

Possibly there is just a certain "type of person" that enjoys discussing and puzzling out the genetic issues surrounding chickens. Genetics aren't necessarily breed specific. (As in comb genetics, earlobes, wattles, wild type ... those apply to many breeds.) A section for those folks, no matter what kind of chickens they happen to have, might be helpful. But again, I don't know what should be done.
hu.gif
I agree, a separate section of Genetics would be awesome,

or if it was moved to the general breeding section, as any what if in the SOP would lead to some taking it bad or in the wrong way

Last edited:
I agree, a separate section of Genetics would be awesome,

or if it was moved to the general breeding section, as any what if in the SOP would lead to some taking it bad or in the wrong way
A genetics section would be fantastic! Especially for those of us with project birds. Weird things pop up sometimes, and it would be great to have a place specifically to ask more advanced questions/share info.

Just chiming in I'd love to see a Genetics section also. I agree lots of the questions I consider genetics don't really belong in the SOP section, as many of them are cross breeding questions.

Back
Top Bottom