New Broody & Box - How Many Eggs to Set?

BetterHensandGardens

Songster
9 Years
Feb 28, 2010
Clinton, OH
A buckeye hen has gone broody (
celebrate.gif
); so we quickly built a "broody box" in the coop and moved her in overnight (see photos here: http://www.betterhensandgardens.com/2011/07/03/building-a-broody-box/ ). She's glued to the new nest in the broody box, so we're planning to set eggs under her tonight. My questions is, how many eggs should we put under her? It's the first time she's gone broody, how many should we try to give her to lay?

It's our first time for trying to let mama Buckeye raise her own young too - any advice?

How many chicks do you want? There are so many different things that could go into that decision, but your personal preference is all that really counts.

I'd suggest a minimum of 4. Things happen and you do want more than one to hatch.

I generally prefer 12, since she is a regular sized chicken and can easily cover that many. But I like to have more chickens.

Some people may suggest that since it is her first time, you give her less, but really, why? Either she is broody and can handle it or she cannot. It is a lot like being pregnant. Eigther you are or you are not. There is not a lot of in-between.

Back
Top Bottom