New Broody

Coop-de-doop

Songster
Mar 14, 2023
We have been hatching eggs with our incubator, and have loved it! But now we have a broody hen, and I’d love to see her be successful. She’s been sitting for 6 days now, only to come out once for maybe 15 minutes, sometimes an hour. My question is whether to move her or not. We have a huge enclosed run, so I worried our meaner chickens would kill the babies. But I’ve also read if you move a broody, she could break. We have extra coops that aren’t being used, but I don’t want to break her. I know about doing it at night, but should I? She’s the one chicken in the flock that just lets everyone walk all over her, and i worry they will just kill her babies when they hatch. I put a picture of the run she’s in, so the post doesn’t get lost. We have about 40 chickens in there.

Attachments

• IMG_1782.jpeg
    IMG_1782.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 32
We have been hatching eggs with our incubator, and have loved it! But now we have a broody hen, and I’d love to see her be successful. She’s been sitting for 6 days now, only to come out once for maybe 15 minutes, sometimes an hour. My question is whether to move her or not. We have a huge enclosed run, so I worried our meaner chickens would kill the babies. But I’ve also read if you move a broody, she could break. We have extra coops that aren’t being used, but I don’t want to break her. I know about doing it at night, but should I? She’s the one chicken in the flock that just lets everyone walk all over her, and i worry they will just kill her babies when they hatch. I put a picture of the run she’s in, so the post doesn’t get lost. We have about 40 chickens in there.
I'd suggest you separate her for the first few days and then with supervision, look at how she behaves and if she is being protective over her chicks. If all is well you can just keep her in with the flock a little longer each day.

I'd suggest you separate her for the first few days and then with supervision, look at how she behaves and if she is being protective over her chicks. If all is well you can just keep her in with the flock a little longer each day.
She’s on day 8 right now of sitting on her eggs. I was asking about moving her before she hatched them. I think I’m going to leave her in the nest box where she is, and allow her to integrate the chicks into the flock when they hatch. 🤞

She’s on day 8 right now of sitting on her eggs. I was asking about moving her before she hatched them. I think I’m going to leave her in the nest box where she is, and allow her to integrate the chicks into the flock when they hatch. 🤞
Ok, I hope it goes good for you!🤞 This is Eda she's on day 16 or so
PXL_20230814_122556010.jpg

If you need to move her, do it once at least some of the chicks have hatched.
I have never had one break at that point, unlike when they are just sitting on eggs.

Back
Top Bottom