New BST Policy -- questions

Hi!
Why should someones post fall off the page here for an ebay or eggbid auction?

I kind of feel the same way, but I don't offer eggs anywhere EXCEPT on BYC.

It's scary / intimidating to see locked threads on BST because *I* associate locked threads with 'bad things'. (bad sellers, deals gone wrong, etc).
I'm not a fan of long chatty egg-selling threads (mine especially) simply because I have a slow computer and get easily confused trying to keep up.
There was a time (and I asked about it) that I *thought* it might be better to keep a thread going and edit the ship date rather that starting a new thread every time I had eggs available.

Doesn't matter to me either way and I'll do my best to follow the new rules.
Thanks again all you Moderating-type folks!
Lisa​

Hi! Another thought is make BST a no-reply /just sales page (but please don't).
It's kind of cold and impersonal, but it might be a thought if chatting gets too much for you to deal with on bst.
Anyone offering things for sale can be contacted by PM or email.
smile.png

Lisa

Lots of good points here. I agree on the locked threads... kind of scary since usualy when I see a lock on a thread it has gone bad for some reason.

I have started sharing more of my eggs on BYC for several reasons. Some of the biggest are that I know that folks here have a wonderful network of support and a place to get questions answered. I admit that takes a lot of pressure off me as a seller. I even ask everyone who buys eggs from our website and our auctions and from the farm to join up here (and am glad to see many of you did
big_smile.png
) as that way I get a break from never ending e-mails for things that are so well covered here.

Another is that I have gotten to meet many wonderful BYCers in person. I work full time and have a large hobby or small working farm. Milking two cows twice a day and taking care of all the critters and the family takes plenty of time and I don't get out to alot of social type stuff. The chickens (and this site) are a way for me to relax and being able to make real friends here that have chickens as our commonality has been fun.

I actually got brought back into BYC after many months of not posting when someone reserrected an old thread of mine in BST. I started getting e-mails asking for eggs and realized that they had come thorugh this site... too funny! and it helped me realize that I have missed checking in on my 'chicken friends'. I would be fine if I never sold another egg here but it has been fun for me and I would like to see it be fun for everyone. I am glad that the mods are interested in giving everyone a chance to do what I have already gotten to do here.

Thanks again!

Quote:
If it is directly related to the item for sale, in order to clarify information related to your buying decision, the questions and answers are fine.
smile.png

After clarifications, I think the new rules sound great... Sundown, that was kinda my question too. I'm glad that relevant chatting will still be okay! I agree with Dipsy, making it a locked-only thread would be impersonal and icky.

It's fun to see who buys the eggs, and fun to read questions that are answered and people who have bought from the seller before.

Great discussion everyone!

Like the majority of BYC rules, we (the staff) will have to make judgement calls. For example: At what point does a BST thread turn from an honest question & answer thread into a bumping & chatter thread. This is a perfect example of how gray a lot of moderation is and why it is so great that we have a bunch of staff that love the community and are on the same page!

Regarding further discussion of sold items after the fact: Go ahead and start a new thread in the incubation section, stories about my chickens, or a social section and edit your first post in the BST section to link to that new thread!

Our goals are to do what is best for YOU and while that becomes more tricky where there are 23,000 "you's", we'll pull it off!

Quote:
Actually, I was thinking more of someone finding an interesting item for sale, and sharing that info.

In any event, if I sell and incubator on eBay I would certainly let people here know it was for sale, it would be rude not to.

ps .... the BST Forum is not some private little club .... we are each members, and would each choose to use it in our own way.

Finding the balance is the key, not banning certain uses just because others feel slighted.

huh? Who is talking about private clubs and banning?

Back
Top Bottom