New budgie... How long should I wait?

happylittlehens

Songster
6 Years
Mar 19, 2013
Utah
We picked up our new budgie today. It’s been in its new “home” for a few hours now and seems scared to death! It hasn’t eaten or drank at all and has barely moved. Just jumped up onto a perch. How long can it go without food/water?
D65B314D-A00A-48E5-B42C-82805A2C8656.jpeg

I recently just got a new budgie as well. It took a little while to get accclimated. I separated it from my original two and it got used to them from outside the cage. When I put them all together, it was love at first site! I had only keep then separate for about 3 days. As for food and water, Your budgie will get used to the new area and will eat when it feels safe. Congratulations on your new bird! He/she (kinda looks like a he) is beautiful! It looks like my parakeet Pepper!

You could cover the cage (towel) and leave the front uncovered. Many birds like to be covered at night it makes them feel protected. So to calm her try covering the back and leave the front open. Best wishes

You could cover the cage (towel) and leave the front uncovered. Many birds like to be covered at night it makes them feel protected. So to calm her try covering the back and leave the front open. Best wishes
Thank you. I have 3 sides covered with the front open. I'm on day 3 and she still isn't eating. I'm going to try moving her food and water cups up to the top and turn the cage so they are at the back instead of the front. She seems more comfortable at the back of the cage. I hung a millet spray in there last night and put one on the floor. She isn't touching them. I don't know what else to do :confused:

We picked up our new budgie today. It’s been in its new “home” for a few hours now and seems scared to death! It hasn’t eaten or drank at all and has barely moved. Just jumped up onto a perch. How long can it go without food/water?
View attachment 1745961
He's just adjusting to his new environment. Please dont try to hold him/pester him. Try lightly singing to him a couple days from now, I know they love that. You cannot integrate the budgie until a couple of months later. A few ways to ensure that they wont fight is a month from now you can put their cages near each other and let them associate themselves.

Back
Top Bottom