new buy building a coo

70-K5

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 25, 2014
Howdy folks!
My wife and I just bought a little more property, just a half acre, but it is enough that we planned to have chickens eventually. We've been consumed by remodeling our bathroom, two bedrooms, putting in new windows, changing out minor and major appliances, taking out some rather large trees and a lot of overgrown vegetation.... The house we bought was built by the husband of the woman we bought the house from in 1952, she has been living with her daughter for the last few years so there is quite a lot to do to get the yard back into shape!

an opportunity came up when a coworker sent me a picture of chickens as a joke, not knowing our situation or plan to get chicken... I asked about them and he said that his new puppy and the chickens didn't get along very well and they needed a new home! so free 2year old chickens! I'm pretty handy and can build anything but we're still developing our back yard plan so I need to build a coop that is secure enough to protect them from coyotes, we've seen them frequently in our area, but not so elaborate that it is overkill. I see the components that we need will be laying boxes, roost and an enclosed protected run. Ideally I would be able to build these items as components so that if we move the house or expand it can all be reused.

What I know is that we have 3 Rhode Island Reds, one Leghorn and one *** buff, maybe Lincolnshire?

That's what I know, I look forward to learning as I go!

-Steve

Howdy folks! 
My wife and I just bought a little more property, just a half acre, but it is enough that we planned to have chickens eventually. We've been consumed by remodeling our bathroom, two bedrooms, putting in new windows, changing out minor and major appliances, taking out some rather large trees and a lot of overgrown vegetation.... The house we bought was built by the husband of the woman we bought the house from in 1952, she has been living with her daughter for the last few years so there is quite a lot to do to get the yard back into shape! 

an opportunity came up when a coworker sent me a picture of chickens as a joke, not knowing our situation or plan to get chicken... I asked about them and he said that his new puppy and the chickens didn't get along very well and they needed a new home! so free 2year old chickens! I'm pretty handy and can build anything but we're still developing our back yard plan so I need to build a coop that is secure enough to protect them from coyotes, we've seen them frequently in our area, but not so elaborate that it is overkill. I see the components that we need will be laying boxes, roost and an enclosed protected run. Ideally I would be able to build these items as components so that if we move the house or expand it can all be reused.

What I know is that we have 3 Rhode Island Reds, one Leghorn and one *** buff, maybe Lincolnshire? 

That's what I know, I look forward to learning as I go! 

-Steve

Hello and :welcome. It would be great if you could post pictures of your chickens, we love seeing everyone's birds. Also when you start building you enclosure it really helps if you use hardware cloth. It's better than the chicken fence that they try to sell.
There is a lot of great information on this site. If you need anything or have any questions, no matter how silly you may think they are, just ask. People on here are more than willing to help. :)

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Congratulations on your new home and chickens, sounds like you will have a busy summer! Be sure to check out the BYC Coops section for ideas, you might want to look at Chicken Tractors, they are meant to be movable, a lot are on wheels etc www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coop_Designs X2 on be sure to use hardware cloth! A short Learning Center article on dealing with coyotes https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...ors-how-to-protect-your-chickens-from-coyotes and be sure to check out the Predator forum for other ideas on dealing with them www.backyardchickens.com/f/13/predators-and-pests
You might also like to check out the BYC Learning Center in general, lots of good articles on all aspects of chicken keeping you might find useful. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center And it is always fun to check out your state thread for chicken keeping neighbors https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread

Thanks, I'm going though some of the coop ideas right now. As soon as the birds get home I'll post some pictures of them.

We bought three 48" x 50' rolls of 23ga hardware cloth off amazon for a garden fence bit it is getting re appropriated for the coop.

So far I like the walk in designs that have an elevated enclosure and an enclosed run. Eventually they'll have the run of the back yard but there's lots of work before they can be set loose.

images

Welcome to BYC!

And congrats on this new adventure you are on! You will really enjoy keeping chickens. Even the building of the coop is fun. You have been given some great advice here and lots of links to the reading! If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

Enjoy all your poultry adventures and welcome to our flock!

Weekends are never long enough. Especially when your dad finds a workbench you need to pickup, then the wife needs you to run out and buy a 4cu/ft bag of perlite, the rain is coming so you need to build a temporary garage, then a new 10x10 easy up for the wifes flower baskets... Then it rains followed by thunderstorms and hail...

But I got the foundation built.
Interesting that there was a concrete pad poured in front of a fireplace that was covered up by mulch many years ago... little shoveling and it provides a secure spot to start the foundation of the coop.

The pad continues on to the right about another 10 feet, I'm leaving it covered with the mulch for now, maybe toss down some grass seed to get the chickens some covering for their temporary run.

And here is where I stopped for the day yesterday. I've got a 12" door framed in the front, windows covered with hardware cloth, I'll put the siding over the opening so anything trying to get in would have to peel back the siding or go straight throught the cloth.

Still deciding on what sort of roof to put on it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom