New BYC coop in high desert (apple valley) CA

Ty RobinZ.

I checked out your page and am very impressed with your coop. Did you build it yourself? How big is the run? I just planted my posts and of course, I had used chicken math. Instead of 8x24, I now have 10'x24'. I figure the birds could use a little extra leg room. My chicken door is petite 8"x12". I hope they can get out.

welcome-byc.gif
I have friends in Apple Valley, welcome! ANd the coop looks great!
thumbsup.gif

Love the coop! Wish you could come make mine.
big_smile.png

Im new to chickens too, but have a ton of them, various breeds. I have 3 polish out of my original batch that are approx 8 wks. Out of my RIR's, Orpingtons, Australorps and bantam Cochins, the most gentle and friendliest are the Orps, cochins and RIR's...in that order. And 1 of my RIR's has turned out to be a roo!
I am seriously thinking of selling the trio of polish. I love how they look, but I think 1 is a roo and he absolutely DOES NOT like being touched...and right now I have to pick them up to transport outside during day and bring back in at night. My kids are part of taking care of the birds, and I dont want them (or myself) to get torn up by one. And I dont want any that hate being touched.

The bantam cochins are very docile and gentle. My silkies are gentle and dont mind being picked up. My wyandottes dont like it so much (they are about a month old).
The polish, even when we first got them as little chicks, seemed very standoffish and didnt like being messed with compared to the other breeds.

Ive read that black/red stars or sex links are docile and friendly and really good brown egg layers.

As for killing the chickens, I plan on having some in the freezer. When I ordered my silkies, the hatchery sent 10 boy as packing peanuts. Well I dont have enough room for so many roos, and they are already starting to get crazy with each other. Now I KNOW I cant do it. But I found someone who will butcher and dress for $2/bird. I figure I didnt pay for these and you cant buy a whole chicken at the store for $2, so works for me. And I dont know how many roos will come out of all the ones I hatched and am hatching.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks, we bought it built(Amish built). We like it but of course it's not big enough because you get this sickness and want more chicks. But, it is serving us well, and I decided not to get anymore chicks at this time. It is easy to care for/clean. Our run is approx 12x12, which is fine but of course the chickens don't think it's big enough. We did let them out occasionally but once the garden is in it will be a big prblem so I have decided to keep them penned up. Good luck in your chicken enterprise.

Thought I'd give an apple valley, high desert update.

It is going fair to midland. I'm running out of time, but am about 80% done (I go back to work on monday). I feel like I don't want to spend another dime on this thing, and am resorting to using some wood around the house. Have any of you ever reached that point in the BYC thing? I thought my coop and run would only cost 200. well, I underestimated that one by a Looooonnngg shot. Has this happened anybody else?

anyhow, enough complaining... here's the update...

Shutters opened and closed.
53054_birdseyepineshuttersopen.jpg

53054_bepclosed.jpg

Chicken run sideview
53054_crun2.jpg

Chicken run front view.
53054_crun1.jpg

The metal you see down below will be put up top for shade 4x12 total within a few hours.
However, I am excited about the chickens... going to pick up two faverolles right now
smile.png

Did I underestimate the cost...absolutely!!! At first I was keeping a running total & then after several more trips to Home Depot (it's way too close to our house...less than a mile) for more stain and supplies I just quit adding it up. Sometimes ignorance is bliss!
wee.gif

Your coop & run is looking really sharp, but you know we'll expect to see updates!
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom