New BYC coop in high desert (apple valley) CA

luckyramu

Songster
14 Years
Apr 3, 2010
Apple Valley
Well, I thought I'd introduce myself.
My name is Jonathan and I have been building a coop. It is a variation of the MONK design in the coop section of byc. I decided to make it 4 egg boxes for variety (i don't understand why most coups have 3- so became rebellious) and tin roof and a sliding window. I have no poop control (yet), but I really liked a few poop board designs. I just couldn't implement them (yet).

53054_dsc01844.jpg

I know a lot of diddlesquat about chickens or coops.

I was scratching around lowes and found pine boards that would make nice doors and shutters. Who knew there was such a thing as birdseye pine existed? I suspect it will look alright.

53054_dsc01804.jpg

Our chicken math is this:
4x8 coop
8x24 run
6 chickens: i'm thinking 2 silkies, perhaps 2 hatters, and 2 egg layers of some sort(maybe welsummers).
1 rooster (I'm thinking a loud one to dismay some of my neighbors). we plan to order day-olds
and hand feed them so they become like lap-dogs (does that work?)

If anyone has any ideas about which should be the rooster or which breeds of chickens that are the friendliest- I'd like to hear about it. Also, the plan is to let them free-range on my 1/2 acre lot, but there are 3 dogs in every neighbors yards. I have 6' chain link, but plan to keep their wings well clipped. Will this be enough or even work?

I've never owned a chicken.

Thanks for your wonderful byc group.

Silkies are great birds. By hatters do you mean polish? If you want ann egg a day I suggest Leghorns for your 2 layers. A loud roo? Cochin or Jersey Giant
D.gif

Nice looking coop. More pics!

If you're going to free range the birds I would move the coop at least 10' from the nearest exterior fence. The chickens can jump on top of the coop and then make an easy flight over the fence.

I thought I'd update some pics.

53054_dsc01868.jpg

tin roof, some flashing.

53054_dsc01866.jpg

The birdseye pine made into a door.

53054_dsc01865.jpg

A different angle.

I'm sorta unhappy that a used a junk piece of plywood on the inside roof, but I don't think I
was prepared for how much CC's cost. I might replace it down the road in about a dozen years.
Next, I'll make the shutters and the run.

Chicken math revisited:

Im not sure I like silkies. They look way too fragile. I'm thinking...

2 polish,
4-7 dual purpose: I like the welsummers or copper morans. I really like the dark
brown eggs. Are either of these good eatens? Do any of you cringe at killing your chickens?
I do, but I lack a gumption to kill even a bug. But I feel hypocritical every time I take a bite
of store purchased chicken. Do these thoughts run congruent in the BYC group?

ty for your help.
Jonathan

Last edited:
oh yeah, behind the tin on the ground is a couple of rabbits my
lovely daughter left me before she moved to VA. It's the whole
reason behind me wanting chickenz.

Nice coop Lucky. I have 9 chickens, 3 RIR's, 4 Golden Comets and 2 Leghorns. They are all pretty friendly, the RIR's being most friendly over all. I have one leghorn who insists on jumping on my shoulder any chance she gets. As for laying I would say the Comets are most productive w the biggest eggs. The leghorns are consistent but the eggs run med to large in size. I too would like some Welsummers or BCM's as I like the look of the dark eggs. Good luck you will do fine. I didn't know a thing about chickens either but BYC site was a great help.

Nice coop...I like the bird's eye pine...I didn't know it existed either. That's a huge run for 6 chickens...now I'm feeling guilty for only making mine 10 x 20 for 20 chickens
sad.png

I would have loved to have had some Polish but I chose my birds mostly based on good laying ability and good pet quality. To respond to your remark about killing your
own chickens...I get that it would seem in the long run the kindest way to treat an animal really, but there is no way EVER that I could do it...I'd be vegetarian first. I have to
hand it to those that can, but I know I just couldn't. Have fun on this great chicken adventure!!

Back
Top Bottom