New BYC death on slow connections, slow computers; site crashes and hangs web browser...

I have 2 computers both on right now - 1 four year old Windows 7 as the operating system, using Google Chrome
1 eight year old Linux (Zorin) as the operating system, using Google Chrome

Can you guess which one is slower at loading the internet pages? If someone gives me the correct answer I will tell you why LOL

I have 2 computers both on right now - 1 four year old Windows 7 as the operating system, using Google Chrome
1 eight year old Linux (Zorin) as the operating system, using Google Chrome

Can you guess which one is slower at loading the internet pages? If someone gives me the correct answer I will tell you why LOL

I was going to jump in with the obvious answer, but you didn't mention the hardware specifications of each machine. There's only so much an amazing operating system can do.

Last edited:
I was going to jump in with the obvious answer, but you didn't mention the hardware specifications of each machine. There's only so much an amazing operating system can do.

Oh crap LOL hold on....

1). Intel Pentium Dual CPU 2.40GHz
RAM 3GB
64 bit Operating System

...and now I have roll my chair over to the other computer!!!

Oh crap LOL hold on....

1). Intel Pentium Dual CPU 2.40GHz
RAM 3GB
64 bit Operating System

...and now I have roll my chair over to the other computer!!!

I forgot to add #1 is an Athlon Dual CPU

Now # 2) Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.20GHz
RAM 2.5
32 bit Operating System

I forgot to add #1 is an Athlon Dual CPU

Now # 2) Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.20GHz
RAM 2.5
32 bit Operating System

wait a second I was looking at the wrong book on #1 I got too many **** computers in my house LOL! 5 desktops plus a laptop at the boyfriend's house! Its not Athlon, its Celeron Dual Core E! I feel like such a... sigh... that's what I get for being an mildly A.D.D. P.T.S.D. Chicken Raisin' Techo Geek! LOL #2 is still correct I just double checked!

Yeah Valk, I was poking at you in a friendly manner, that's why I put a LOL :) in there, because I was expecting technical advice for my issue, not being told that downloading more stuff just to prevent my puter from downloading stuff or that paying somebody my hard earned $$$ would fix it. ;)

Carrie62:
I thought 1 gb RAM might have a little something to do with it, although there's a setting in "control panel/system/advanced" that is sposed to use my hard drive as RAM when resources run low. Maybe I need to look there?
Any more advice I'm all ears. Thanks! :)

Yeah Valk, I was poking at you in a friendly manner, that's why I put a LOL
smile.png
in there, because I was expecting technical advice for my issue, not being told that downloading more stuff just to prevent my puter from downloading stuff or that paying somebody my hard earned $$$ would fix it.
wink.png

Carrie62:
I thought 1 gb RAM might have a little something to do with it, although there's a setting in "control panel/system/advanced" that is sposed to use my hard drive as RAM when resources run low. Maybe I need to look there?
Any more advice I'm all ears. Thanks!
smile.png

Oh careful there with those settings now! I never go near those! Do you own a desktop? Or laptop? I love desktops - they're so easy to work with, for example the CMOS battery on a desktop motherboard takes 5 seconds to change! On the laptop however (under supervision), I tried one once and will avoid it all costs to do it again if I can because it took me two hours to take it apart and put it back together!!! Same kind of deal with RAM there too!

It's a Dell Inspiron laptop, only about 10 years old. hahahha I hate working on it. I had to google how to take it apart first time I worked on it.

Last edited:
I'd say that trusty ol' Linux box is the faster of the two.

And you are correct!!! Even with my error, not Athlon but a Celeron instead - my trusty Linux is still faster! With Linux I don't have to run anti-virus in the background hogging precious memory & processing! Now I love my Windows for Photoshop and a few other small programs I can't get (yet!) with Linux. But for the general computer user who emails, surfs, watches video, etc., it's not a bad operating system - my 11 year old loves it more than Windows too! I've revived "dead" computers with Linux that wouldn't install or boot Windows because they were too old!

Back
Top Bottom