new californian quail enclosure

shimzilla

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 9, 2013
Hi guys,

Im going to be building an outdoor enclosure for my pair of Californian quail, the area I have to build it by has conifers and I think a pine tree, if the cones/pine needles drop onto the enclosure floor is this poinsonous to them? or are they likely to just ignore it. also I know they like oak trees but is there anything I could plant that's sturdy enough for a perch but wont grow bigger than say 5ft?

I don't know this for sure, but I'd guess no. The reason I say that is when I have butchered wild grouse it is not uncommon for them to have pine needles in their crop. Pine needles are rich in vitamins like vitamin C so I suppose it's good for the birds too. Grouse and quail are fairly similar so I can't see where it'd poison quail when grouse seem to like it so much.

Wild valley quail depending on where they live in CA encounter several types of pine trees. You'll be fine.

In general birds know what is poisonous to them and will avoid it unless starving, but off the top of my head aside from tropical plants I can only think a few things poisonous to quail. Avocados, green tomatoes or any part of the tomato vine, and raw potatoes.

thanks guys, just wanted to check, I thought they woulkd be ok as they like oak which is poinsonous to a lot of animals so I guessed they are pretty hardy when it comes to food, also just found there is a rowan stump in there with berries on it which I believe is good for them, so that should keep them happy, along with the black currant bush I have for them. there only 4 months old but I am loving this species.

Back
Top Bottom