New Call Ducks - Advice please!

Somewhere I remember reading a way to re-stimulate the oil gland (may have been for chickens), but I think a molt will do them the most good. Too bad we can't control when that happens lol

I'm so glad you rescued them from such horrible conditions though. I wouldn't let them out with the others until their feathering is improved, and until they get to know you as their trusted caretaker. How many others do you have? I suspect they will stay separated from the others for quite some time, but eventually will get to know each other and bond. But it can be a slow process.

Never heard of wet feather killing them I think I'll go read up on it. :idunno

Here is a real good article on wet feather.
http://www.majesticwaterfowl.org/artwetfeather2.htm

https://poultrykeeper.com/external-problems/wet-feather/

Both very good articles! Thanks for those links. :clap

:goodpost:Maybe if she can set them up where they will be safe and can't fly if scared or startled they can have some sunshine outside.?

I definitely think they would enjoy some sunshine and outside time.

You're correct, wet feather doesn't kill them, however, some of the underlying causes of wet feather can kill them.
I am sure one being chilled, so warm baths would be best and letting them dry off out of wind and cold weather. Poor things hopefully these little ones will be on the road to recovery now.

I am sure one being chilled, so warm baths would be best and letting them dry off out of wind and cold weather. Poor things hopefully these little ones will be on the road to recovery now.
Yes, of course. If I were to bathe one with wet feather I would be very careful and do it only if I thought the bird was stable enough to tolerate getting wet and chilled.

Morning everyone!

Thanks so far for all the advice and help with the ducks!

They're now called Jemima (female) and Puddles (male)!

Vocal this morning, and I put them in the bath to see if they'd swim and lo and behold! They swam for what I think was the first time in their lives! They also had an amazing bath, I'll upload a video for you all to see.

Puddles has been acting odd. He keeps stretching up on his tip toes and hunching over, and losing balance. He's been falling into the food bowl and water bowl, clumsy thing!
I tried to get a video, which I will also post.

They don't seem interested in any vegetables or fruit, but I have only tried lettuce and cut up grapes so far. I'm going to try peas and beans later on today, and then find a source of protein for them - possibly meal worms?
They have been eating corn though, which is great. They just keep preening themselves at the moment and trying to get clean. I've been gently helping them get dry by assisting with a hair dryer when I can ;).

Puddles "tiptoing"

Bath time

Puddles
Have you checked both of them for lice, mites, fleas, and ticks?

I had 3 Solid white Muscovy females that when they got to be around 7yr got wet feather every year same time late summer before molt. Boy they would look pitiful then they would molt and their feathers would be beautiful again. Being they did this when temps were still warm to hot they did fine. Having this condition during cold months would be a challenge since it seems bathing would help with getting the gunk that has built up on their feathers off. Sounds like these little ones were kept in terrible conditions.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom