New Castle or stressed broody hen??

bigsis08

Chirping
May 25, 2021
Tennessee, United States
We have a hen that we thought was broody for the last week or so. Staying in the coop most of the day, not eating as much and so on. Today she layed a rubber egg and threw up. It was an especially hot day (over 90 when last week our highs were barely in the 70s) but we know she is getting enough calcium in her diet so the rubber egg is not likely a calcium deficient. The New Castle disease seems to have different symptoms on every site I go to. We are somewhat new chicken owners and thought the cough was one of her special clucks. She is very much a talker when she is well and is the one that watches for threats so she makes unique noises quite often. Help! We don't want to lose her and especially not the whole flock!

The New Castle disease seems to have different symptoms on every site I go to.
Why do you suspect NCD @bigsis08 ?

We are somewhat new chicken owners and thought the cough was one of her special clucks.
Can you get a video of her 'cough'?
Upload vid to youtube, or similar platform, then paste link here.

This is what I do when I have a bird that is acting off.
I isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so I can closely monitor:
-their intake of food and water,
-crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed),
-and their poops.
Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling.
Check for external parasites or any other abnormalities.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @bigsis08
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1622034385361.png

Back
Top Bottom