New Chantecler Color

Last time I checked the APA only has the White and Patridge so I don't know about the three you stated unless they added those within the last year. Cite your source.
There are only two recognized Chantecler colors. The other colors of which I speak, are colors the APA does recognize for other breeds. If you want to create another color of Chantecler, you must create one that the APA is willing to recognize. Buff tailed brown is not a recognized color variety for any breed.

Last edited:
Ok. You were unspecified and threw me when you mentioned the three other varieties. I thought you were implying the Chantecler was recognized in those three colors. Lines got crossed.

I am not very familiar with the breed but, I know the buff rooster has an improper comb. On the "J'est another day in Pear a dice," thread the starter raises chanticleers in Canada where they originated. She has some gorgeous birds and has been working to have very flat, small combs to prevent frostbite..

I might sound harsh but if you are trying to breed birds to standard then you need to cull and cull hard. If you have a bird that does not benefit your breeding program then why keep the bird, ie the rose comb.

I might sound harsh but if you are trying to breed birds to standard then you need to cull and cull hard. If you have a bird that does not benefit your breeding program then why keep the bird, ie the rose comb. 

I'm most likely not ever going to breed chanteclers. He's just a nice rooster that I like to have around, I was thinking of letting my younger sister show him in the pet class this year, but the birds need to at least match the body type. Where I live its not very strict on what you can show in 4H
And yeah, if I was seriously breeding I would cull him.

Back
Top Bottom