New Chick can't stand or walk-- need advice

cgmccary

Crowing
13 Years
Sep 14, 2007
NE Alabama
I've got one chick from my hatch yesterday that cannot stand up. I have always band-aided the legs together (for splayed legs) and they scoot around, hop & stand until their legs are stronger. It has always worked for me, their legs got stronger & straight in a few days. This time: I band-aided this chick's legs, and it is not going anywhere. Its legs are weak and feet curled. It can't make it to the water of food (I am nof panicked yet because they were hatched Friday nite & yesterday so food & water not absolutely essential yet.

My questions:

1) What do you do for a chick in this instance?

2) Do I need to separate her (she is getting picked on a little bit); the others are eating, running around & drinking water; this one is laying in the same spot.

3) Should I keep this chick's legs band-aided? Am I hindering her more than helping? Is this something other than splayed legs?

Thxs for any advice. CHRIS

I don't know what to recommend about the chicks now, but I think you should be looking at your incubator. Check to make sure the tempurature is correct. USually a low temp will cause curled toes and leg problems. Also if thats not the cause make sure the breeding birds are being fed properly.

I've got them on the best feed $$ can buy; laying crumbles w/ 20% animal & plant protein; they have a large run so they eat also, worms, bugs, mice, etc. and I give them fresh greens every other day.

They're Buckeyes & there has been a problem (nationally) with air sac location & fertility in general-- and I'm experiencing it this season.

I did have a spike in temps during this hatch but the other hatched chicks came out fine (their legs I mean)-- maybe this egg's location made a difference??? Last week's hatch that shared the "spike" with them all came out fine too (but maybe "time" of spike in temp during their development??).

Thanks, just trying to save this one chick-- I don't like to give up on 'em. Sometimes, it is the one that grows up to be the President.

Back
Top Bottom