Albertxy

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2020
Hello new to the chicken game. Long story short I rescued a bantam chicken that was wondering around the neighborhood. No one claimed it after asking all around. I ended up getting a baby New Hampshire chick she is now about 6 weeks old. She's the same size as the bantam which is maybe 1 year old or more.The bantam is laying eggs has been since I got her.

I have read that once chick is about 5-6 weeks old I can start to put her in with the other hens ( in this case just one) but the bantam hen is just a big bully always going after my new Hampshire chick pecking at her. The chick does nothing but try to run away. she doesn't defend herself or anything. My bantam hen gets mad and aggressive and won't stop cluking loud. So my question is..is it safe to leave the chick alone with the bantam even if they go at it well the bantam pretty much pea king and fighting the chick while the chick trays to run away and do nothing? Or what can I do? Im new to all this so see the poor chick get beat up is heart breaking. There's a photo of the bantam hen at this time I don't have one of my chick? I need help

Attachments

• 2020-03-31 10.02.35.jpg
    2020-03-31 10.02.35.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 5
Hello new to the chicken game. Long story short I rescued a bantam chicken that was wondering around the neighborhood. No one claimed it after asking all around. I ended up getting a baby New Hampshire chick she is now about 6 weeks old. She's the same size as the bantam which is maybe 1 year old or more.The bantam is laying eggs has been since I got her.

I have read that once chick is about 5-6 weeks old I can start to put her in with the other hens ( in this case just one) but the bantam hen is just a big bully always going after my new Hampshire chick pecking at her. The chick does nothing but try to run away. she doesn't defend herself or anything. My bantam hen gets mad and aggressive and won't stop cluking loud. So my question is..is it safe to leave the chick alone with the bantam even if they go at it well the bantam pretty much pea king and fighting the chick while the chick trays to run away and do nothing? Or what can I do? Im new to all this so see the poor chick get beat up is heart breaking. There's a photo of the bantam hen at this time I don't have one of my chick? I need help
No, if the bantam singing that aggressive, do not leave them together.

If you can house them so that they can see each other, through wire, where there is zero chance of the bantam hurting the chick, that would be best.

You might have to house them side by side for a month or more,before they can be kept together.

No, if the bantam singing that aggressive, do not leave them together.

If you can house them so that they can see each other, through wire, where there is zero chance of the bantam hurting the chick, that would be best.

You might have to house them side by side for a month or more,before they can be kept together.
It looks like I will be doing this starting next week 🙂..thank you

What kind of coop/run or are they in the house with you?

Put them with a wire fence separating them, see no touch. Feed along the fence. Wait a week. Then change places, putting the hen in the chicks side, the chick on the hens side, flip them every day, for a week, still feeding them along the fence. Then lift the fence just a couple inches from the floor, so that the chick can go in or out at will, but the hen cannot follow her. Do not force the chick into the hen side, let that be the chicks choice, just wait, it might take a day or two. This lets the chick and hen work it out on their terms, not yours.

Mrs K

the problem is this bantam could have rejected because of that problem and it has maybe been alone for a while and it has ruined its social abilities. i suggest keeping them apart and slowly introducing them while keeping a wall between them. do some reaserch on the pecking order between those 2 breeds

They are outside during the day and inside during the night. Javier them in the back yard. The hen and the chick are about the same size. I will be setting up a small co-op type and separating them both as how.you described and as others have. And I hope that works and if it.doesnt then I'll have to wait until the chick is much bigger so she defends herself

Back
Top Bottom