1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New chick help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Iancasarez, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Iancasarez

Iancasarez Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2010
    I have 5 chicks that have hatched over the past 3days, all are healthy and progressing well except for one that hatched this morning. It fluffed out just fine and was looking good but it's started laying on its stomach with both legs out behind it. I tried to help it stand but it just goes back to its stomach. It walks around on its own every now and then but for the most part it just tries to scoot on its stomach. When I pick it up it lets its legs just dangle down instead of holding them out or tucking them up like the other chicks do. The rest were walking around by the time they were the age of this one so it has me a little concerned. Can anyone tell me what might be going on here and what I can try to remedy it?

Update: please answer in the outhe version of this post ive put up, my father is gonna be checking it and answering it most of the time and he's not extremely computer literate lol so itl be easier for him to check one post instead of2. or if admin can just delete this one as there havent been very useful answers in it that would work too. Thank you to those who gave actual good answers tho.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  2. Dadspossum

Dadspossum Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    From the Rules
    * Be friendly and courteous to all members at all times.

* Be nice to newcomers and help them feel welcome.

4. No Trolling (posting to provoke others, luring them to flame or rant). Trolling is sometimes done involuntarily, so please be considerate when posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2010
  3. FortWorthChicks

FortWorthChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I wish I could help; I am gearing up for my chicks who are supposed to be shipped on the 3rd of Feb. I will be watching to see if anyone has a reasonable answer!

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'm not sure, because I've never dealt with this problem but I would do a search on spraddle leg.
    I wish the best for your little chick. [​IMG]

5. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    try electrolytes in water.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Maybe poly-vi-sol (without iron)? I haven't had this problem either.

7. Dadspossum

Dadspossum Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    From the Rules

4. No Trolling (posting to provoke others, luring them to flame or rant). Trolling is sometimes done involuntarily, so please be considerate when posting.

8. FortWorthChicks

FortWorthChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    From the Rules

9. Iancasarez

Iancasarez Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2010
    If there's anyone out there who can be serious and can help me before my chick croaks please respond and I will appreciate it. No disrespect intended for those of you who stick to post rules..... Please help soon!

10. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I will move this to the Emergency forum.

For those of you who cannot be helpful to someone needing assistance, the Games forum is waiting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by