1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New chick here with a guestion ~

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GaNewChick, Mar 12, 2009.

1. GaNewChick

GaNewChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    McDonough, Ga.
    Hello everyone. I've searched the forum but not sure that I have found the answers to my questions.

First timer here ~

The 18th day was March 10th. I turned off the auto turner, took it out and placed the eggs on a thin towel over the grate. Spaced them a few inches apart (there are 9). The temp is still set at 99.5 and has water.

Now the question ~

I may have messed up...I picked them up last night and did the candlelight. I think I saw movement in two of them. They all clearly have a mass with a small portion of the big end having a clear area. So not sure if there is life in all of them or not.

Did I harm them by picking them up?
    Does the temp stay on 99.5 until they have hatched?
    Do I know what I'm doing? [​IMG] No!

Thanks in advance ~ I've been reading the forums a couple of weeks and y'all are a wondeful bunch of people!!!! [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They are probably fine. Just hang on and wait till they pip! Welcome to BYC.

Oh, yes, the temp stays the same throughout. Just keep the bator closed and cross your fingers!

3. GaNewChick

GaNewChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    McDonough, Ga.
    Thanks to the North Ga. Mountains. I'm about 25 miles south of Atlanta. I guess I need to update my profile.

Fingers crossed....waiting.

Thanks again!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  4. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    Hopefully they will be fine, but don't open the incubator again until they hatch out!!! It's very important, if the humidity drops too much in the incubator the last three days the babies can die.

But hey....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by