New chick housing questions

Chezpowell

Hatching
9 Years
Feb 8, 2010
Ok, I'm getting chicks next week :)and I can't decide what to keep them in. If I use a small rabbit-type cage (with a heat lamp of course) for my new chicks, how do I keep drafts out? Cover the sides? With what?

Or, I could use a large plastic tub or a wooden box that does not(currently) have a top. My question about using a tub or box may sound silly, but where do I put the chicks while I am cleaning their home?

I'm only talking about 8 chicks. I have all of these options available to me, but I want to be able to keep them as clean as possible. I also want my children to be able to view the chicks without opening the container.

Any suggestions?
yippiechickie.gif

I use large, clear plastic storage containers. I cut out the center of the lids and attach hardware cloth in the opening using small bolts, nuts, and washers. The lid snaps on and you can set your heat lamp on the wire safely. Your kids will be able to see the new babies without opening the lids. One large tub will be fine for 8 chicks; as mine get larger I divide them up and put them in separate containers containing 4 or 6. Once you're done with the tubs you can clean them out and stack them for storage until next year. Good luck with your new endeavor- you'll love it!! Edited to add- when they're smaller I just move them from one box to another clean one, then clean the old one. You can also clean around them or put them in a pet carrier while you clean. Once they're bigger don't leave the lid off or you'll be playing chase to get them back.....

Last edited:
When you're cleaning, just take them out and put them in a small box (boot box, computer box, whatever) lined with paper towels. They'll eventually make a mess out of it, but it's not big deal.

Or you can clean around them. Plenty of people do that.

We just graduated from a plastic tote bin to a cardboard box from a washing machine! When they were in the tote bin, they were in the upstairs bathroom and when we cleaned the tote, we put them in the bathtub
wink.png
Then just cleaned out the tub when we put them back in the tote. We are using mini deep litter method in the box, so we'll see how often we need to clean it. I'm hoping they can stay in there a few weeks before we need to graduate to something bigger again, LOL! There are only 5 BTW.

We're doing the plastic tub thing too. And it's our first time. Problem is, we ordered 40 chicks. So-- how many chicks can we put safely into one big long tub-- it's about three feet long or a little more, and maybe 18 or 20 inches wide. We're planning on deep litter using cedar shavings, so-- how many square inches do chicks need at first-- and then, week by week until they're old enough to get out? 15 of the 40 belong to someone else and will eventually leave our house. We have small children and are wanting to give them something to see without much danger so we are putting the chicks in the tub up on a table. But-- it sounds like we might need two tubs at least? And how big and how old will they be when they are ready to go live outside? They should be here within a week or two, we live in South Carolina.

Quote:
I hope you haven't bought the cedar yet, everywhere I look says that can be fatal to the chicks. :x

Thanks for the heads-up on cedar, no I haven't bought it yet. Hopefully I can get pine. I suppose a pet store would have it-- I almost never go into pet stores for anything! Sounds like my chicks will be all right for a while in one tub and then might have to go to two.

Quote:
It depends on what kind of chicks you are getting also. I use the same size storage box you have for a brooder and my last brood was nine chicks that got very crowded by the time they feathered out. They are Orpingtons though and get pretty big.

Back
Top Bottom