New chick! How long do I need to quarantine? When should I start taming?

So it's scabbing? I think as long as it doesn't seem infected, just keep an eye on it and make sure once she's in the flock that the others don't peck on it.

When we bought our last ones they were a little overcrowded in his grow out pen and the gentler breed had all been pecked at from boredom by the other breed in there. They had bald spots much like it looks in your photo near the tail feathers and had lost their beards from pecking. The little pin feathers grew back in just like you are describing so it sounds similar. Was she in with a lot of others? Just keep an eye when you put her in with the new ones, she is already going to be bottom of the ladder so just watch they don't take too much interest in pecking her bald spots, more likely if they can see skin though. . You can buy a no pick spray from the pet shop if they start pulling them out on her again.

Last edited:
As far as I know, they shouldn't be carrying coccidiosis in such a manner..? Maybe I've been misled on the topic. My understanding is that cocci live in the soil--she would be at more risk of catching coccidiosis from a different strain of cocci in the soil than what she has been exposed to where she came from, rather than passing it on to the established birds. Do correct me if I'm wrong, here! I'm happy to learn!

Sorry it was meant to be a question not a statement :), I was asking did you know cause I've only just started learning about them myself and I'm trying to learn too lol

I don't know if she was with a lot of other chicks. They had her caught and everything already. I didn't pick her out. They said that we couldn't go in there because "they get piled up pretty fast" so I'm guess the chicks almost smother each other in a corner every time a person goes in there.

It looks like classic feather picking as of the more recent pictures. She should be fine, especially once her feathers grow back in, but keep an eye on her to make sure she doesn't get picked on once she's in with the other birds.

Sorry it was meant to be a question not a statement :), I was asking did you know cause I've only just started learning about them myself and I'm trying to learn too lol

I'm glad you posed the question--I did learn something new there! :) Yes, cocci oocytes (eggs, basically) can be carried in the gut and pass on in the droppings. Usually, though, unless it's a particularly aggressive strain, there shouldn't be a problem with older birds getting Coccidiosis as a result.

I don't think I'll ever reach a point where I'm not learning with these birds! :lol: But it is exciting to know that there's so much out there to learn--I'll never run out of things to research! :D

I took Ana out today on the harness and my girls came to check her out! They didn't go after Ana like I thought! They mostly stared at her and pecked a little at her feathers. The only one that acted aggressive was........ELSA! She was all fluffed and really ready for a fight.
She knows she's at the bottom of the pecking order, so she stayed away while the other girls looked Ana over. I think Elsa thinks that she's a roo because she grew up with a roo as her brother and she would raise her hackles at HIM! She also fluffs herself up when I offer treats! She fluffs and then lounges for the treats. I think part of of it is because Elsa doesn't get any treats unless I push all the other girls out of the way and then she has 30 seconds max to take her treat and run!
tongue.png

Last edited:
You might also be seeing Elsa protecting her own position in the flock. Often, if a newer or younger bird comes in, the lowest ranking bird of the flock will be particularly aggressive because they don't want to lose any more rank than they already have. Some of my most meek girls get flat out mean when I bring in new birds! Elsa should settle down once she's sure she has established her authority. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom