New Chick in town!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Paws4fun, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Paws4fun

Paws4fun Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2015
    Hello,
    I am starting up my first backyard coop!! Any tips - or words of wisdom would be much appreciated!! I have a 7.5X5.5 tin shed that my girls will be living in to start - during this summer I am going to build my own coop - 8X8 in size. I am on the fence about the number of chickens to start off with - 6 or 8.....suggestions??

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! The learning centre has some great articles on housing your chickens. Here is the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    I would suggest you build bigger than you anticipate as flocks can grow alarmingly fast. I would start with 6 personaly untill you have some chicken experience and a feel for chicken keeping, then you can start adding more members to your flock. My words of wisdom would be make sure your birds are safe from predators. Any thing you build, build it like Fort Knox.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your new chicken adventure, be sure to ask any questions along the way everyone here to help and very friendly. Enjoy BYC :frow

4. Paws4fun

Mar 6, 2015
    Thank you!!

The breeder I am buying from recommended 8 - and not adding to my established flock - as I could put my birds in higher risk of catching diseases.

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Yes there is chance of disease but quarantine works well with new birds and should always be practiced. The chicken math will take over once you have your birds, I know my flock grew inexplicably :lau Good luck with your 8 new feathered friends :thumbsup

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

Either 6 or 8 chickens would be fine to start out with. Chances are, though, that the flock will grow as you find out how fun chickens are. [​IMG]

7. Paws4fun

Mar 6, 2015
    HAHAHA yes I keep reading that everyones flock tends to grow!!! I am starting with a mix - a few silkies- a barred rock - a light Sussex and a few polish - and one or two mixed breed ones - all hens! I'm super excited!!!!!

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined us.

I would start with eight birds. If you start with fewer, you may find yourself wanting more very soon![​IMG] Your coop will be plenty large enough for 8 chickens (it could hold as many as 16!).

1 person likes this.
  9. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Welocme to BYC!!! It is an aweosme forum (the BEST in the world) and has a great comminity!!! Hope you have a great time and learn A LOT!

1 person likes this.
  10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by