New Chick introduction?

PecksPeckers

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 3, 2014
Hi, we have a new chick just hatched over night. It is from a hen who left her nest yesterday with the egg pipping. I am wondering if I could put it with a different hen who has a "relatively" new chick herself (4-6 weeks). I currently have the new chick in the bath tub with a heat light, we have raised chick before this way, but would prefer to not have it inside for weeks. I would love some feedback on introducing the new born in with the rest of the flock. Thanks

Themama with the month old chick should be about ready to stop mothering and return to the flock. It is very unlikely she would accept a newly hatched chick. If she had other very young chicks, your chances would be much better.

Any chance you can try her back with the one who hatched her?

Alright
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining the BYC flock
frow.gif

BYC has a very useful learning center
caf.gif

You should try to keep the chicks with in the same age window of two weeks of each other with the youngest one's having the ability to run for their own safety .....

I am not sure who the mama is, I could probably narrow it down to 3 hens. I have put some eggs in the box that she was sitting on and am hopeful that she will return, but am worried because she left the nest in the first place.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

No, I would brood this one yourself. Broodies need to be at that point of accepting chicks and if they are done with their first brood, she is not going to except this chick. They have to go through the entire process or most of it anyway, of setting, incubation and hatching. And unless you have a broody that has been setting for a few weeks or has a newly hatched brood, I think you are going to need to brood this little one on your own.

Very cute too! :) Enjoy this baby and welcome to our flock!

The mama had been sitting for a long time, more then the 21 days, and she is a first timer.

Back
Top Bottom