New Chick mama, and new to BYC

New update on our chicken coop, and run. We had to change things up a bit. Not perfect but much better. And my girls getting some outdoor fun. They were on alert, do too crows, and then looked at me like...šŸ˜³
I have noticed recently as the weather has gotten warmer that wasp, and other Bees etc are making there way into the coop. I have placed hardware cloth over vents. Now my plan is to place screen over top to prevent these guys from coming into our girls house, Anyone else have success with this?

I have noticed recently as the weather has gotten warmer that wasp, and other Bees etc are making there way into the coop. I have placed hardware cloth over vents. Now my plan is to place screen over top to prevent these guys from coming into our girls house, Anyone else have success with this?
My coop is large enough that they are not an issue. But if I see the start of a nest, I take it down.

We have those tiny sweat bees, and hardware cloth doesn't keep them out. I don't worry about them too much, but check your feed. Some types have a lot of molasses in them and the bees love it.

I use "replacement screen" from Lowes when mosquitoes or gnats are really bad. It comes in rolls. I just attach it to a rope (like a curtain) and hang it over coop windows and sometimes the run. When I'm done, I can take it down, roll it up, and store it for next time.

I am having a difficult time with carpenter bees. Fortunately or unfortunately, our runs are made of hardware cloth panels framed with wood. They keep trying to make holes with nests in the wood. While their perfect circle wood digging is impressive, they have to go. I canā€™t spray for obvious reasons.

I am having a difficult time with carpenter bees. Fortunately or unfortunately, our runs are made of hardware cloth panels framed with wood. They keep trying to make holes with nests in the wood. While their perfect circle wood digging is impressive, they have to go. I canā€™t spray for obvious reasons.
I've never had the trouble with bees, but I've heard that paint or stain on the coop will deter bees. All wood gets stained here and maybe that's why bees aren't a problem. I see them buzzing here and there but they don't stay or nest.

We have those tiny sweat bees, and hardware cloth doesn't keep them out. I don't worry about them too much, but check your feed. Some types have a lot of molasses in them and the bees love it.

I use "replacement screen" from Lowes when mosquitoes or gnats are really bad. It comes in rolls. I just attach it to a rope (like a curtain) and hang it over coop windows and sometimes the run. When I'm done, I can take it down, roll it up, and store it for next time.
Thank you for the response and great idea.

Good evening, everyone. I am a brand-new Chick Mama and new to BYC. I have chosen my username after one of my 5-week-old chicks we named, Echo. She is a RI Red and had a chirp as a few days old that would "Echo" through the house....hehehe. I got my 6 chicks on March 22 at TSC. We have a RI Red (Echo), Starlight Green Egger (Sassy), Cinnamon Queen (Rosie), Golden Comet (Dazzle, she loves the mirror), Easter Egger (Dottie), and another Easter Egger (Bean, she is very small and sweet compared to Dottie). We are currently building our enclosed run for these girls and can't wait to share photos for any suggestions. I will post photos soon of our babies. I never thought I would love chicken's as much as I do.

Attachments

• 20230528_180535.jpg
    20230528_180535.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • 20230528_134920.jpg
    20230528_134920.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom