New Chick Mama; what do I have??

dsnystew

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 12, 2015
Hi all,
New to keeping chickens, and new to this forum. Hoping for some help (and encouragement!)

Here's the story: I ordered 27 chicks from a mail order breeder. I was sharing the order with an experienced chicken keeper- I had 6 sexed chicks, he had 20 straight run "adopt me" mixed breeds. There was an extra one thrown in for good measure. When the box arrived, however, only 12 were still alive, and after three days, only 6 of those remained.

hit.gif
I was utterly devastated and heartbroken, and felt all sorts of remorse and responsibility. Needless to say, I kept what remained (sorry, buddy, order your own next time). Now I just need to know what I have!

Below are pics taken throughout the last week (they are all one week old today!) The first picture has seven chicks. The little red one did not make it. The rest remain. The last is of a yellow one, puffy cheeks, a black spot under one wing, and white flight feathers coming in. The other two yellow ones have golden feathers coming in. The two black ones are different; one looks like a penguin, now, with a fluffy white underside and all black feathers on "her" wing, while the other is mottled black and white, with black and white feathers (and by far, the most friendly and curious one of the bunch!).

My initial thoughts are that the chipmunky one is a female brown leghorn. Hoping the two yellow/golden ones are buff orpingtons. "Penguin" looks like a black copper marans, but I don't think I'm that lucky! Maybe a Jersey Giant? Haven't got a clue for the others.

Any help at all would be very much appreciated! And thanks, ahead of time, for sharing your experience with us new Mamas!

It's too young to be sure on breeds. However, here are my guesses:

Brown striped chick: Welsummer or Light Brown Leghorn

Yellowish/Buff chicks: Either a white breed like a White Plymouth Rock or White Leghorn, or a Buff breed like a Buff Orpington.

Black chick: Australorp, Black Orpington, or Jersey Giant. You'l have a better idea when it grows up and feathers in. Jersey Giants will develop yellow bottoms to the feet. The other two breeds have white feet bottoms.

I'd post more photos when they are more feathered in, around 6 weeks old. We may be able to give you better guesses then.

welcome-byc.gif

It is still to early to tell for sure but I will post a guess...
I think the yellow/gold ones may be buff orpingtons
The chipmunk one could be any of several breeds including but not limited to ... EE, SS, Brown leghorn, and welsummer (I think it is a SS myself)
The white winged one could be a leghorn or leghorn cross or even a white EE (rare but could still be one)
The blacks look to me to be Black Australorp or Jersey giants.
I am kind of leaning away from any of them being easter eggers simply because of leg color though.

It will be fun figuring out what the little cuties turn out to be.

Last edited:

Yellowish/Buff chicks: Either a white breed like a White Plymouth Rock or White Leghorn, or a Buff breed like a Buff Orpington.

Black chick: Australorp, Black Orpington, or Jersey Giant. You'l have a better idea when it grows up and feathers in. Jersey Giants will develop yellow bottoms to the feet. The other two breeds have white feet bottoms.

I'd post more photos when they are more feathered in, around 6 weeks old. We may be able to give you better guesses then.

X2 but the brown striped chick looks like a female welsummers chick :) for more opinions and advice on how to spot roosters, why not post a few pics in a couple of weeks on the big fat is this a rooster thread :) :
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/944086/the-big-fat-is-this-a-rooster-thread

Last edited:

I agree with these guesses.

Thank you all for your insight!
I'll be sure to post again in a few weeks. Thanks, again!

That last yellow chick looks like it have a beard and muffs. What color are its legs? It could be a white EE or maybe Faverolles if it has 5 toes.

The fluffy cheeks are definitely getting bigger on the little yellow one with white feathers. Legs gray/brown-ish, and only four toes. Meanwhile, the smallest one at 1 week, a black one named "Penguin") has all black feathers coming in, is now the largest in the bunch at almost 4 weeks. It has HUGE feet! It's amazing to watch their transformation occur- from one day to the next!

Hello all,
Update: I have two Black Australorp cockerels, one Buff Orpington Cockerel, one Buff Orpington hen, an Easter Egger hen, and a Brown Leghorn hen!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom