New chick not drinking

Roger98

Songster
Mar 16, 2018
I have a silkie hen sitting on 4 eggs, one just hatched yesterday night. The chick is doing really well, I've seen it eating already but I haven't seen it try to drink yet? I've raised chicks but this is my first time hatching my own eggs with a broody hen. Any advice would be appreciated
20190212_142227.jpg

Generally there's not much eating and drink during the first 24 hours. Your waterer maybe a problem. The bases are generally red for a reason so they attract attention. Also generally the hen will show them the water but your base is almost too small for her and the chicks to drink together. I might switch waterers if possible.

Generally there's not much eating and drink during the first 24 hours. Your waterer maybe a problem. The bases are generally red for a reason so they attract attention. Also generally the hen will show them the water but your base is almost too slow for her and the chicks to drink together. I might switch waterers if possible.

I can change it, thank you for the reply

You could try just very gently dipping the chick's beak tip into the water so she will drink a drop. After they have had their first drop they learn fast to go back to the water source. But I wouldn't worry too much, the chicks and mother have nothing to do but eat and drink and sleep the first several days so they will figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom