New chick seems weak, difficulty standing up

Cleangreen2016

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2019
I decided to assist a chick in hatching after it pipped at the narrow end of the egg and then didn't progress for 24+ hours. I unzipped the shell and left it and it was able to push out on its own. It has been out for an hour at least and is weaker and less exuberant than its siblings were (I moved them to the brooder when I took him/her out to unzip). It is having trouble getting all the way up on its legs, but they don't look splayed, and it just seems like it pushes itself up, gets tired, and needs a rest. No wonder with being so long in the egg.

I have seen many suggestions that you give a weak chick sugar water or gatorade (which is all I have on hand for liquids), but how does one go about doing this?

I decided to assist a chick in hatching after it pipped at the narrow end of the egg and then didn't progress for 24+ hours. I unzipped the shell and left it and it was able to push out on its own. It has been out for an hour at least and is weaker and less exuberant than its siblings were (I moved them to the brooder when I took him/her out to unzip). It is having trouble getting all the way up on its legs, but they don't look splayed, and it just seems like it pushes itself up, gets tired, and needs a rest. No wonder with being so long in the egg.

I have seen many suggestions that you give a weak chick sugar water or gatorade (which is all I have on hand for liquids), but how does one go about doing this?
How is it doing now?

It still wears out pretty quick, but it will get up and stand on its legs and walk a bit then lay down to rest. Its got some fight in it though. It keeps pecking at the leg bands I put on the cockerels' legs. When I does stand up its stance looks like its siblings. Does anyone think banding its legs would help them strengthen or should I just let it be?

Are the legs splayed? If they are then yes, you need to try to correct them.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/spraddle-leg-in-baby-chicks-what-is-it/

Were you able to give your baby a little sugar water or gatorade - I forgot to respond to that part, I'm sorry. Yes! If that's what you have those would be o.k. An easy way for such a tiny chick is dip a qtip in the liquid and roll a drop on the beak, see if she will take it in.

If you have photos you would like to share, those are most welcome.

I was able to use a q-tip to try to put some Gatorade on her beak, but I'm not sure if she took it in. I also saw her pecking at some of the feed in the brooder yesterday. AND this morning she is up and walking around with the other chicks, normal stance, several steps without any signs of fatigue!! I think she is going to be good!

I was able to use a q-tip to try to put some Gatorade on her beak, but I'm not sure if she took it in. I also saw her pecking at some of the feed in the brooder yesterday. AND this morning she is up and walking around with the other chicks, normal stance, several steps without any signs of fatigue!! I think she is going to be good!
That's great news!

Back
Top Bottom