New chick with 3 week olds

llnmaw

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 22, 2011
Spokane, WA
Yesterday we added a little chick to our group of 4 (one will be leaving as he is a roo) and it's not going so well!
sad.png
Our biggest chick is about 3 weeks, maybe 4max and she is crazy rough on the new little wee one. Last night I sectioned off a spot in the brooder and put the baby and another chick together. It worked well. I took out the divider in the morning. All day our new little chick has taken a beating form the big bully of the bunch. So...the bully is in seclusion for the rest of the night. I'm using chicken wire to separate them so they can still see each other. It's going fine.

So who 'should' be getting the time out? No blood being drawn, the little one is just....so....little I fear she will get hurt, is really being picked on and can't get much sleep. In a week or so when the newest has gained some size to defend herself do I try it again, or so I just keep trying daily? If I take the bully out all together for a day or so and then re-introduce her would that be better?

I would have preferred not to, but it is what it is. The others are fine with the new one and are similar in age. So it seems to be a personality issue and I am hopeful it can be worked around.

No?

Funny enough the rooster (who has to go, and therefore the reason we needed a replacement) is the biggest protector of our wee one! Go figure huh? I've been sort of suspecting that the bully is a roo, not just because of the new chick.....and will post a pic in the appropriate place to see what people think.

So semi-long-term-ish I can put the baby and a buddy together with a chicken wire separator and in a week or so try to integrate them all again? Longer separation?

Thanks for your help!

So the solution that seemed to work was to keep the bully separate for the night and most of the day. We then put them into the larger brooder with new logs to peck at and lots more room. The bully actually was seen letting the wee one sleep under her wing!
big_smile.png
Perhaps the night in solitary and more 'stuff' to do was just enough distraction.

If she starts again up I have plenty of room to get the little one sectioned off with a buddy and will do it.

Thanks for your help Iheartchicks!

Back
Top Bottom