New chick with multiple problems! Need a little advice!

lightchick

Crowing
6 Years
Apr 3, 2014
Minnesota
Yesterday evening I got two chicks at the feed store. I got a EE and a Silver Laced Wyandotte. When they grabbed the SLW chick all I noticed was that it was pretty tiny. Once I got it home I relized that it could hardly walk and it wouldn't eat or drink.
After I dipped it's break in water and mash she seemed to start walking easier and acting more alert. Making sure she ate all through the night. This morning she wasn't an any better and I also noticed that her head is very slightly tipped to one side and her beak is very slightly curved. So she might have wry neck. She can walk just not very well and she pecks at food a little. I have been feeding her a mix of sugar water, yogurt, molasses,egg yolk and vit. E.
Medicated chick starter also.
Her crop isn't very full at all and she sleeps all the time. Will post pics.
I think I'm doing all I can but maybe you guys have some more ideas?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Here are some pics. Her head is always tilted like that.

Sorry they aren't very good...

She may have encephalomalacia or wry neck from vitamin deficiency from the parent stock. Vitamin E and selenium, along with thiamine (vitamin B1) is what most recommend to treat that. She looks like she may have the start of cross beak, which can get worse causing problems feeding. I would get some Poultry NutriDrench pr Poultry Cell vitamins, which have some minerals as well as vitamins, and that may help prevent the worsening of crossbeak. The dosage is on the label, but I believe it is 1-3 ml orally daily given by mouth. I would start with 1 ml since she is so small. Hopefully she will survive. Here is a link to read about wry neck and one for treating cross beak birds:
http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/content/vitamin-e-and-selenium-deficiency
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/03/scissor-beak-aka-crossed-beak-what-it.html

Ok. That's what I thought. It's super difficult to get stuff in her tiny beak so can I just put it in the water or something? I have the vitamin E started (in the mash) and I saw that molasses helps with wry neck too. Looks like I'm going to have a long week ahead of me! *sigh*
Do you know how I could get her to eat more? All she gets is water mostly and her poop is really watery too.
Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Molasses should be avoided, due to it's being a laxative in chicks. Many use PolyVisol without iron baby vitamins, 2 drops orally daily. Selenium is found in egg, so a little raw or cooked egg daily would be good. Most chicks will eat chick feed with a bit of egg and a little buttermilk added. Vitamins added to that would work if she gets them all. Poultry Nutri-Drench and Poultry Cell can be added to the water, but it's more economical to give it a drop or two at a time by mouth. The buttermilk works as a probiotic, and may help with watery stools.

She doesn't want to eat or drink at all.
sad.png
Right now I'm focusing on the Wry neck because that's more of a concern at the moment. She has stopping being able to walk again and she struggles every time I try to dip her beak in something. But I'm working on it. Trying to get as much vitamin E in her as possible. We'll see what happens.
hmm.png

So sorry for your loss. You might try to go and get one or two more to be company for your only chick. Try to pick out very active chicks if possible. Good luck.

I picked up my chick order from the feed store and one of my light brahmas has wry neck too. It's awful. I separated her, but she can't even make it over to the feeder. So she hasn't eaten anything since she's been home. I went and got that pi sol and got about 10 drops in her, but then she layed down and threw most of it up! Now she is just lying there and dry heaving. I feel awful, like that made it worse. If she makes it through the night I will be amazed. I wish I could tube feed her....:(

I picked up my chick order from the feed store and one of my light brahmas has wry neck too. It's awful. I separated her, but she can't even make it over to the feeder. So she hasn't eaten anything since she's been home. I went and got that pi sol and got about 10 drops in her, but then she layed down and threw most of it up! Now she is just lying there and dry heaving. I feel awful, like that made it worse. If she makes it through the night I will be amazed. I wish I could tube feed her....
sad.png

The dosage of Polyvisol without iron is only 2-3 drops per day, otherwise you will be overdosing it. She probably needs some electrolyte fluids giving by dipping her beak into the water, letting her swallow between drinks, as often as you can all day long. Give her a little raw egg yolk to eat, and hopefully she will eat some crumbles.

Back
Top Bottom