New chick won't walk

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Country Parson, May 17, 2011.

1. Country Parson

Country Parson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Bellefontaine, OH
    It's been 24 hrs plus since it hatched and one of my new little Dark Cornish chicks won't walk. Nothing seems broken, and while his legs are curled up I can't see any physical deformity. He struggles greatly to walk, but can't get to his feet. About all he can do is lay on his said, feet sticking out.

Should I cull? I've already put the other chicks in the brooder, but have left this one in the incubator for fear of him getting crushed or pecked to death.

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I would try giving the bird some electrolyte solution with a couple of drops of avian vitamins or baby vitamins added to it, and give it another day to see what happens. While the odds aren't great at this point, sometimes they do perk up. I had 2 quail that hatched like that last Wed/Thurs, and I thought they were both not going to make it, but I did the above, stuck them back in the incubator for another day, and both of them came out of it, which actually kind of surprised me. So far, they seem to be doing ok now.

3. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Sadly, some just arn't intended to survive. Seldom do the ones with major leg troubles make it more than a few days, then even if they do, is it really good for your flock long term? IMHO if the chick has not made any progress in the first 24 hours it is not likely to improve. Some people are into having handicapped chickens, I'm not one of them and culled a chick on the weekend with the same sort of problems.

4. rebelINny

rebelINny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    eastern, Ny
    I also had to cull a chick over the weekend because of bad legs. It's sad but that's just the way it goes unfortunately.

5. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    I'd try the electorlyte and polyvisol...it may not be their legs as much as lack of energy. If that doesn't work, then cull.

6. moeplants

moeplants Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2011
    Iron Ridge
    Quote:And the above, how do you give them the electolyte solution and vitamins? new to this.

7. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    I held a dropper to my chick. It was amazing how fast she perked up and started walking.

8. moeplants

May 13, 2011
    Iron Ridge
    I have heard that you should to give them sugar water after they hatch, is that about the same? Mine are supposed to start hatch on Thursday. YAY!

9. Bengalcats1

Bengalcats1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Polyvisol infant vitamins are Amazing ! Two of my babies were totally down and couldn't walk at all or stand up and one dose the next day they were walking around [​IMG]

10. moeplants

May 13, 2011
    Iron Ridge
    I also dont have children , can I pick those up at any store...aka WM

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by