1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Chick!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chelz1234, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Chelz1234

Chelz1234 New Egg

Jun 29, 2016
    Hey, so I have had chickens for a while. I have 3 Rhode Island Reds (they are hens) and 1 Silkie (he is a Rooster).
    We had two eggs in the incubator and they are a mix of the two breeds. One egg Hatched this morning. The other has not hatched yet. I have kept the chick in the incubator. It has not yet dried. Any suggestions on what I should do.

[​IMG]

Sorry that the picture is blurry.[​IMG]

2. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    Leave it there and don't disturb the hatching process of the unhatched baby. Chicks can last a while without food or water, when hatcheries ship them, they usually go 2 days without eating or drinking. So just give your other chick more time so he/she hatches. Opening the incubator now, might drop the humidity in there and make it hard if not impossible for the other chick to hatch.

3. Chelz1234

Chelz1234 New Egg

Jun 29, 2016
    Thank you! The Chick has fluffed up and he was moved to a small area with a heat lamp. The other egg has not hatched yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by